A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One small victory, two more minor annoyances...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One small victory, two more minor annoyances...

I'm two months into my Audi ownership experience and no regrets - what a great car.

So when I got the car the sunroof wouldn't open - when it started to slide back, it would stop almost immediately. It seemed like it was binding on something but the solution wasn't obvious.

I've been using the pop-up feature as that works fine, but noticed that the rubber accordion-like side curtains came off their track. I figured out how to remove them and on a whim tried the sunroof - viola! It opened and closed just fine. I popped the curtains back on their tracks and re-mounted them to the roof and bingo - I have a working sunroof again! How cool is that?

I have two other questions though and haven't found much info out there, about the auto-dim feature of the mirrors and about ordering new keys.

Is there any way to check the rear-view mirror dimming feature? Shining a bright light into the sensor doesn't do anything. AFAIK, all my fuses are good - but I haven't checked the auto-dim feature specifically. The wiring diagrams I have state that the module is in in the rear-view mirror - is there any way to test it or the system? Not sure where to go there.

Also, where is the best place to get new key fobs? I put two new 1620 batteries in mine and it didn't work, but somewhere else I saw that it is supposed to take 1616's - it's possible that the difference in thickness might have a part in that (contacts not touching), so I'll have to try out some 1616's to be sure (and O'Riley's has an RF sensor to test if my fob is generating any signal).

Still, I only have one key - and would like to get two more. Amazon.com has complete keys for about $60, any luck with them? Will a locksmith be able to get me replacements (fob & transponder included)? Then, will I have to pay a visit to the stealer to have them coded, or can I do that with vag-com or by one of the various song-and-dance key programming routines on the web?

Thanks in advance...

Raz
Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are looking to buy new keys, ikeyless.com has some good deals it seems like. One their website they claim that dealers will usually cut and program the key free of charge, and if they don't most locksmiths will do them for cheap to stay competitive.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

did you try re-programming the key for the car? Had the same problem after I replaced the battery. Lol thankfully my smarter half opened the manual and read that it needs to be reset to the car. Followed the steps and it worked fine.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Keys for Audi's aren't a simple replacement.

Firstly you have two separate items:
1. The Remote (ie "keyless entry")
2. The Transponder (for the immobiliser)

Don't confuse the two, they are separate items performing separate funtions.

Provided the Remote is of the right sort, there are several procedures to get them functioning with your car. They are user programmable (with the right procedure). The ECU lists them in order though, so ensure the procedure you use codes them in order, otherwise you'll end up rewriting position number 1 all the time and only end up with one functioning remote.

The Transponder is a little more difficult.
You need to ensure that any key you buy come with the correct transponder model. In your case it should be Megamos Crypto 48 (ID48) chip. These can be bought separately, but it's easier to get the key with it already installed.
Now the chip itself doesn't get programmed. The car does.
The procedure can be done via VCDS, but there's a catch.
The immobiliser module is located in the dashboard (pre '99, it may be a separate module). However, access to the dashboard is restricted and can only be accessed by using the correct PIN code for your car.
Once in though, you pick the number of keys you wish to program (this will be the total number of keys you have - you can't add or subtract keys, only complete programming each time of every key you have) and then program each in order.

It is possible that VagTacho, or some other programs available may be able to decode your PIN. Some sources say that Audi used to be able to give it to you, but have now restricted that access.

Alternatively, once you have all the keys and remotes you want, get the keys cut and program the remotes, then head down to your dealer for key programming. They should be able to do it quickly and easily (obviously for a $$ fee...).
Old 11-23-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the detailed response.

Eric