A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paging PaulW. Have a few problems. Need the experts help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paging PaulW. Have a few problems. Need the experts help please

I am currently in the process of changing the interior of my A8. The seats are done and I am finishing up the dash part. I will post pics as soon as everything is finished. After I got my car back from the shop I noticed the following problems:

1. The driver's side headrest won't go up and down with the switch.

2. The passenger sideview mirror tilts every time I back up but it does not go back into position when I put the gear back in Drive. I have to adjust it everytime after I backup. I did try to save the setting with the memory botton but still it does the same thing.

3. The airbag warning light is on. This actually happened to me last time when I was doing the stereo installation because they had to remove the seats. it happened again because the seats were removed. Last time I found someone on the a4 forum to reset it using the vag program. I can't get a hold of him, but i heard there is another way to reset it? (do I have to disconnect my battery?)

I really appreciate any help.

thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:22 PM

that be a damn good looking car!! can you post a few more photos?
Old 01-09-2004, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scar, until Paul gets here(Oh boy!!), referencing point #3

the Vag-Com will clear the code and the battery does not have to be disconnected. I have heard of an 04 that had/has the same problem with their PS mirror not returning to neutral so I d be interested in knowing the fix to that. As for #1, it could be a switch/contact problem. Like I said, this is only remedial medicine until the surgeon gets here! LOL
Old 01-09-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Item#2: Deactivate mirror tilt by moving driver side mirror control

switch to either center or driver's mirror adjustment position. If you want to know how to actually fix the problem...well I'm unfortunately of no help.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This one??

scar has great taste in paint!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a good first step....I would have to look into actually fixing it
Old 01-09-2004, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default A few answers

I was going through your picture poster the other day, the pictures with the GTI look hot! Your car is really coming along. Nice work.

As far as the head rests are concerned, do the new seats have movable head rests? If so, are they Audi seats? If so, what year/type? If they are out of an S8 or something, I can check the wiring diagrams for you.

The airbag light needs to be reset with a VAG-COM/ross-tech software....don't know of another way.

Do the new seats have air bags in them too?

Tell me what you got....you should get the ross-tech software...you've seen it before, if you can post here, then you have the skills to use it.

I have a favor to ask. I see that you are selling your rear muffler on ebay....can you do me a favor and measure the inside diameter and outside diameter of the pipe leading into the muffler. I need them for an exhaust mod I'm considering.

If you have calipers to measure that would be great to get accurate dimensions, if not, just use a ruler to the 1/16" or 1/32" if possible. Thanks!

pw
Old 01-09-2004, 04:29 PM

Default the seats are the the same, I did

not remove the seats, I just did the alcantatra silver suede inserts like the ones on the S audis. Everythingelse is the same. the seats do have the airbags in them as well.

Regrading the muffler I will get the measurements when I get home tomorrow.