A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People are so Nice this Time of Year

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That truly sucks. Buddy of mine got his BMW hacked up outside a club

earlier this year. Not only did they get every body panel but whoever did it managed to scratch every pane of glass on the car. When I saw it at the shop I was like, "who the hell did you **** off?" Turns out his "other job" was working security for strippers at clubs and private parties.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default It happened parked on Canal and Archer near Chinatown

My girlfriend lives in a new conversion loft building there, and I've been parking there for 1.5 years.

A lot of "ricers" race up and down Archer and Canal through the night. Truck traffic 24/7 there too.

Since this loft opened up, there are a bunch of nice cars outside all the time. Not a very good neighborhood (not really a neighborhood at all).

I figure it was a couple of kids who drove by, then saw the cars, drove around the block, rolled down the window and started on my car, hence the nice circle where they started.

Then they drove up to the red truck, then the Mercedes SUV. There is no side walk outside of the car, only on the other side of the street. There's just a concrete wall there.

*ucking *ssholes.

I can't believe that this happened to me. My last car (a pearl 91 200q) got keyed in the suburbs when I lived in Brookfield while parked in front of my house. Not nearly as bad, after I rubbed it out, wasn't noticable from five feet. I don't think this will be the case. What are the chances of having two cars keyed?

If the way I treat people on this forum is any indication of what type of person I am, I don't think I can think of anybody that would want to do it to me, wrong place, wrong time, pay for it for the rest of my car ownership.

I'm totally bummed......
Old 12-29-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Re: It happened parked on Canal and Archer near Chinatown

I'm the recent new owner of a 98 A8 4.2. Like you, Paul, and many of the others here, I am extremely protective of the overall condition of my car, including body / paint. I was the same with my last car - an 87 Acura Legend coupe which I kept in near-showroom condition until I was forced to write it off this past summer after it got hit. Over the life of the Legend I had several bangs and scrapes and had various panels painted from time to time. I have a very good body shop - not a high-end shop, but guys who are honest and conscientious - and I always had the car repaired there. I never had a problem with the quality of the refinish. The colour match was always perfect, the refinish matched the original finish and the new paint had excellent durability.

The guys at this shop tell me that with the new paints and techniques they use today colour matching is not the problem it used to be, and certainly this was borne out in the work they did for me. I might add that my Legend was a dark metallic gunmetal grey - a similar colour to your A8, Paul.

The price to paint a few panels is not outrageously high, either.

So, based on my experience, I'd suggest you look into having the damaged panels refinished. You'll be happier, and you'll protect the resale of the A8.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:00 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default unbelievable!

every time i see stuff like this, it just makes me ill -- this is just rage and jealousy, pure and simple.

i would seriously consider going the repainting route -- if they repaint the whole side, they should be able to blend it so you'll never know it was there -- my guess is that it would cost ~$2500.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default sorry to hear about that.

i had the same happen to me before on my '94 RX7... so i know exactly how it felt.

hang in there.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I know exactly how you feel, I had a 2001 A8L same color as yours get rear ended by an idiot...

I walked out the next day and stared at it and though it was all a dream, what I am getting to is that FVCKING sucks! You should find (if you can) the bastard(s) beat the **** out of them and then force them to pay for it, Pearl white and Esspresso Brown are the two best colors IMO and rarest. Hope everything works out best for you
Old 12-29-2002, 10:59 PM

Default oh man....

that really sux. I feel for you paul. I parked my A8 on the other side of the street from where paul parked just two days before (for paul party) - not a scratch on mine.

I wish that I could catch these idiots that did this.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:50 AM
Elder Member

Default Total bummer ...

and you're now well overdue for some good luck.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That really upsets me! Think I can imagine your feelings when you saw it, terrible!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:19 AM

Default This happened to me at a resort town in Canada about a month ago.

Niagara-on-the-Lake for the weekend, car was keyed there almost exactly the same result. Looking for a good paint shop now to fix it.

Quick Reply: People are so Nice this Time of Year