A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PhatBox mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PhatBox mounting

I just recieved mine, i see that some mount the box vetical? is this the bracket for the A8?

I have a 2000 and its horizontal.

I put mine in the CD changer slot and the door does not fit. Should i cut the backing out? or get the (other?) bracket? or mount it vertically some other way?

I searched but didnt really know

Thanks

what is the best way?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 11:14 AM

Default I cut a rectangular hole in the plastic cover slightly larger than the PB cartridge

about 1" x 4" - it sticks out <1" with the door closed. Planning to cover that with something.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I used the standard Audi Phatbox bracket on my 98

Behind the door was the amp for the Bose system and the cd changer mounted vertically. I removed the cd changer, put the brackets in sideways attached to the existing cd changer mounting brackets and mounted the phatbox vertically with just enough play in the mounting to let me tilt it inwards towards the trunk to remove the cartridge. Planning to replace the screws with thumbscrews to make it easier to keep them tight and still tilt it when necessary.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I cut a rectangular hole in the plastic cover slightly larger than the PB cartridge

Thats what i was thinking about... cutting the hole how does it look.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

mine is in a small box in the trunk sliding around constantly.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mine is vertical, fits fine

in a '99. It didn't come with any brackets - was I robbed? At any rate, I made up a couple of brackets from stuff I bought at Busy Beaver for about 5 bucks (my favorite hardware store) and it stands up 3" above the floor so the cable doesn't kink, and there's just enough room above it that I can slip the cartridge in and out. No holes needed.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the brackets are (at least, were) an extra cost item..
Old 08-30-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Velcro!

I have a 2001, and i mounted mine horizontally. I used heavy duty velcro strapping tape.

I secured it to the cd changer bracket. It is rock solid, doesn't budge, and have absolutely no problems.

Total cost- $6.

Steve
Old 08-30-2005, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Same here. Removed the cd-changer and mounted PB vertically on..

..a small wooden support flat-board that is placed across the CD-changer's original bracket space (didn't want to drill holes on the backdrop). Put it as low as possible to allow me: a) to remove the cartridge from the top; b) remove the adapter at the bottom when the PB loses connection to the headunit.

Used a set of very long plastic ties (is there a special name for them?) to secure everything in place. No movement, no rattling noise. The cubby-hole latch door can be placed back like stock.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default prefacelift vs. post face lift

So before 2000 the CD changers were vertical?

I have the navigation system so i either have to move that vertical also or block it off.

Sounds like a nav plus install so i can fit in the PB.

Steve ... can you put the cover back on the cubby hole thing? I have my box wedged in the CD changer slot fits great no movement yet.... took it out in the twisties to make sure.

Quick Reply: PhatBox mounting