A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! Question on a 95 4.2 Quattro - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! Question on a 95 4.2 Quattro - is it worth it?

Hello peeple, please help me.

I live in London, UK ( and am new to these forums), and am looking to purchase a used A8, not too fussed about engine size. I was originally lookin to spend around £10000, but am a bit scared by insurance, maintenance costs etc.
I then spotted a '95 A8, which is supposed to be in "pristine" condition according to the ad (I haven't been to see it yet), its silver (which i like), and all usual extras inclded (no fancy alloys then), with 4.2 litre quattro engine. But the price is just £6995 ( about $10500) - and I feel that is dirt cheap (am i wrong?). THis is way below my budget, and will help offset the ongoing costs. SO i rang up, and the catch (well there had to be one), is that the car has done 140,000 miles! Now please tell me if the price quoted is good for this type of car (remember I live in London!). Due to the fact that this car is so far below my budget, I can afford to put a three year comprehensive warranty on it, so that side of it should be ok. Please tell me what to look out for when I go to see it, my MAIN worry is, would the performance (o-60, acceleration etc), and fuel consumption have badly deteriorated due to the high mileage, as I dont want to buy a 4.2 litre car which guzzles loads of unleaded, and gives me only average performance.

Please could you guys reply quick, as I need to go and see it soon if you guys say it might be worth it, and answer my performance queries.

Many thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2002, 04:07 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The main worry ...

With proper preventative maintenance, a motor at 140k miles should still be in good condition. I put 125-250k miles on several cars (not Audi's) with no measurable change in fuel consumption, performance, or even oil consumption.

Having said that though, there is a risk; and rebuilding the motor would be VERY expensive. Is there any chance you can borrow this car for a day? You could take the car to an independent mechanic for an evaluation (especially check compression ratio) and also drive the car enough in one day to measure the fuel mileage yourself.

Also, can the owner provide a copy of the maintenance history of the car? It's nearly due for the 2nd changing of the timing belt, but you could determine if recommended maintenance had been done and also get a feel for the cost.