A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt transmission owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt transmission owners

What are your opinions/results on a rebuild solving our group problem of hunting, thumping, shuttering, etc.

Does a rebuild solve some of these issues completely or not at all? Will I be getting something that I hoped for with my beloved A8 all along is that foolish thinking?
Has anyone not been satisfied with their rebuild?

I am, as well as others recently, are in need of a transmission rebuild due to MIL incorrect gear ratio code. I for one am now in an evaluation stage for a transmission shop and need some assistance.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Rebuilt transmission owners

I'm right there with you. Marcodant just got his rebuilt and he seems satisfied. I might check out the same shop that he went to. Talk to PaulW or Tozzo they seem to have more info on the rebuild.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 AM

Default the hunting will still be there it might change or stay

the same. I had a little shuttering problem and stange or slow downshifts when I first got the car back but I think it was in adaption mode. a week later and about 800miles later it is totally smooth .. Hunting is exactly the same as it was.. I had hunting issues at 39mph 5thgear only.. I am very happy with the rebuild results.. it was that or junk the car. about $2900 later I am happy
Old 07-25-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Also rebuild the TQ, my hunting is gone!

After rebuilding the tranny on my car myself with the help of TozoA8 for some advise and pictures, my tranny is now tighter than ever and I have absolutely NO HUNTING! The one thing I did while I had the tranny out was to also have the Torque Converter rebuilt. They guy at the ZF parts distributor where I bought my new parts from (they also rebuild these transmissions) suggested the hunting problem is more than likely the TQ and not the transmission itself. His insight led me to rebuild the TQ while I had the tranny out, after all what better time to do this? He mentioned the programming on these transmissions is a little soft on the gear changes which ultimately leads to the clutch in the TQ wearing to the point it no longer holds gear properly and this is the reason for the hunting.

All I can say is, if you are going through the trouble of having your transmission pulled out and rebuilt, by all means also do the TQ! My transmission is operating like is was brand new and shifts are wonderful!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:35 AM

Default I had my TQ rebuilt too but I still have the same hunting issue I had before.

Can you find out how on the rebuild it fixes the hunting? thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Hunting and the TQ

As I mentioned in the previous post, the ZF authorized repair center I spoke with in New Jersey talked about how the programming in these transmissions are made for "smooth" gear changes being as how it is a "luxury” car. The problem with this is after time the clutch inside the TQ eventually wears enough due to the programmed slipping that it can no longer hold the gears properly so it slips more than normal and thus we get the hunting. It appears the transition in gears between 30-40 miles an hour or so and up small grades is already fairly sensitive and it doesn't take much more slippage to trip the gear change. This factory set slippage in the TQ is why Audi and ZF only authorize the use of the Audi gear oil because it has the properties to handle this slippage at least until the clutch in the TQ wears until it is out of spec.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:23 AM

Default So from what you are saying the slipping will always happen or at least come back?

Or maybe reprogram the TCM for harder shifts. which I would love to find someone who could do that
Old 07-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Elder Member

Default I believe both GIAC and MTM sell tranny chips.

Though defeating Audi's programmed self-destruction probably wasn't their first priority, I assume they make quicker chips by reducing torque converter slippage.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:56 AM

Default thanks randy do you have any links on those?? Anyone try it ?

I would think if they work Paul or yourself would of did this by now??
Old 07-25-2005, 08:10 AM

Default OK randy I found a place in MD $400 for reprogrammed TCM

here is the link and info. I called them on the phone it is a chip replacement. you send the tcm they do all the solder work etc and send it back<ul><li><a href="http://www.4induktion.com/giac.html#audi">http://www.4induktion.com/giac.html#audi</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Rebuilt transmission owners