A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 E-Throttle Inconsistency

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 E-Throttle Inconsistency

Folks...

Anyone else notice this?

Sometimes when accelerating from a full or nearly full (IE from Clueless.. "I totally paused" ) I get almost no throttle response.

Seems like a 25% gain is being added to the accelerator pedal signal going to the ECU, and stays this way until I go to a WOT, after which it returns to its normal S8 twitchy throttle self.

Moral of the story, WOT from a stop every time :-D

K-lueless
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One of the two main things that annoy me on the S8; the other being the brakes.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are you saying that it sometimes accelerates slowly unless you punch it?

...kind of like it is being bogged down?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Default I've experienced this several times in sport mode....

on my 02 S8. Only happens when I start with light throttle, and attempt to accelerate responsibly - which is admitedly a rare occurrence. It will take a fair ammount of pedal movement to pick up the pace, unless I plant it. Then everything is back to normal.

I've had the opposite problem on occasion taking off from a stop in "D". I'll ease into the throttle, only to do the "bobble head", jumping out of the hole with a dash more gusto than planned.

Is it the E- throttle? The adaptive transmission? The car being confused by my alternating gentle & rough treatment? I don't know, but at times like this, I wish the car could be just a bit dumber and respond consistently.

Mark F
Old 04-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Happens if the brake appears pressed when you start to accelerate. Search Forum for more.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Elder Member

Default I believe it's the result of "DSP", the dynamic shift program.

I find this to be equally annoying on my '01 S8. DSP can be disabled on the A8, but unfortunately, not on the S8.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/codingtransmission.html">Recoding the A8 Transmission</a></li></ul>
Old 04-14-2007, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes
Old 04-14-2007, 07:17 AM

Default If it's still unresponsive after it finishes shifting, the prior brake application caused it

You're right that the throttle response is bad when the transmission is downshifting. The problem Nurburgringer was talking about can happen from a full stop, after the transmission has already downshifted, and is programmed into the ECM software on cars with electronic throttle control. See TSB 01-01-02 (in group 01 in the service manual).

If the ECM doesn't see that the brake pedal has returned all the way up when you step on the accelerator, it weakens the accelerator response. I don't know if the brake pedal is slow to return or the computer is slow to recognize that it has, but it's annoying either way, and not moving the foot so quickly from brake to accelerator keeps it from happening. If it does happen, releasing the accelerator completely then reapplying it will get a normal response.

Tom
Old 04-14-2007, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've usually done a WOT to "reset" (rather than a lift) by the shift

Perhaps if the brake switch is worn/sticking then replacing the brake switch ($20 @ ECS) might improve this scenario... (or investigate a 3 cent application of wd-40...)

Thanks all for the input!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys!

Quick Reply: S8 E-Throttle Inconsistency