A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the S8 grossly overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the S8 grossly overpriced?

I've been thinking about getting an S8, but can't rationalize that an S8 is $20,000 more than a new Infiniti Q45 or Lexus LS430, comparably equipped. The S8 has quattro, but what else accounts for the difference in price? Audi's response might be that if you have to ask, you either shouldn't buy it or can't afford it. Is the difference merely marketing and perceived value? Is Audi looking for buyers who believe that a costlier purchased item must be better than a less costy item, even if a disinterested analysis shows that other items may be equal or even superior in quality, features, performance, reliability, whatever.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:12 PM

Default The S8 isn't competing with the LS430

It is competing with the Mercedes S 550 AMG. And is in the same price range.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right Tabor. If BMW had an M version of the 7 series, that would also compete.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Is the S8 grossly overpriced?

The S8 may be positioned against its German competitors, but my point is that the two major Japanese competitors sell vehicles that are close in performance and equal or arguably better in materials, workmanship, durability, and reliability for substantially less money. I really do think that an S8 would be the most satisfying to drive, if not to own. My question deals with the premium the Germans charge. By the way, I was in a 2000 M5 last summer and couldn't understand how it's worth 80 or 90 thousand dollars.
Old 06-20-2001, 03:02 PM

Default The new 911 Turbo isn't worth $120,000 and the S8 isn't worth $80,000

Unless you have the money to spare, and then they are worth every penny of it.

Some people have more money than others. I can't afford a new S8. I can however afford a 1998 A8, but I think I will wait another year or two to buy one (then I can afford it even easier!).
Old 06-20-2001, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default A8/A8 L compete with the LS430/Q45/S430/XJ8/740i

If you check the current issue of Motor Trend, you will see that the A8 L competed very favorably against the above competitors. The MB S430 was judged the overall winner, but that car is more expensive and slower than the A8 L or the two Japanese luxury cars.

The S8 should be judged against cars like the BMW M5, Jaguar XKR, MB E55 AMG, S500 or even the S55 AMG. In that company, it is a relative bargain. However, one strike against the S8 sticker price is the terrible resale value enjoyed by the A8. I don't think an S8 bought at full MSRP will hold its value nearly as good as any of the cars mentioned above, simply because the A8 has had a historically poor resale value.

By the way, the S8 is significantly quicker than the LS430 or Q45 (0-60 in 5.8 seconds vs 6.3-6.5 for the LS430/Q45) and it looks like a million bicks compared to those bland designs.
Old 06-20-2001, 04:09 PM

Default I disagree

The A6/S6 line of cars competes with the Mercedes E class and the BMW 5 series.

The A8/S8 line of cars competes with the Mercedes S class and the BMW 7 series.

The Audi "S" cars compete with the BMW "M" cars and the Mercedes "AMG" cars. Since BMW does not manufacture a M7, they do not compete against the S8. However, Mercedes does with the S55 AMG.

Or at least this is my look on it. YMMV.
Old 06-20-2001, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Quattro, All Aluminum body, ESP, 18" Wheels, better warranty with Maintainance, ect
Old 06-20-2001, 06:28 PM

Default Re: A8/A8 L compete with the LS430/Q45/S430/XJ8/740i

Before I bought my S8 I drove an LS430, S500 and 740i Sport and after driving my S8 for 2 months now I'm glad I made this choice. You can't even compare an LS430 or S500 to an S8. These are luxury cruising cars that ride great but can't handle well and are no fun to drive. The 740i Sport was closer to the S8 than any others but EVERYBODY drives a 740 - I wanted something different! I got used to quattro by driving an A8 for 2 years and I don't know if I could ever give it up. The handling of my S8 is probably as good as any sports car I have owned yet the ride is not harsh. All around it is one of the finest cars I have ever owned. With the limited production of 600 per year these may hold their value better than an A8. Can't be any worse than a Q45 or XJ8.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:24 PM

Default No, not when you live with one...(Long)

Many may say 78K is totally ridiculous for a car, but the more I drive the car the more I love what it does for me. I have had many Audis since my first 80 in 1988. My last was an Audi TT 180Q.

This car is so tight its scary. The power of the engine is wonderful and the overall detail is to the point sheer delight.

I got my S8 from from my great friends at Criswell Audi in Annapolis, MD. I had it on order as soon as they could place it back in the fall of 2000. As you can imagine I was getting pretty anxious by the time April came and still no car.

But then the call came in, my assistant said its Renzy on the line. Renzy Bryant is wonderful round jolly person who I have known for years. I have bought 5 Audis from him and I can say he is a friend. I picked up the phone--his words were "you will not believe how stunning this car is". He went on "George(the owner of Criswell) wanted to drive it but I told him he could not even sit it". A mother hen could not have been as protective to my baby as my friend Renzy.

Since I now live in NC now we made arrangements to have the car transported on a rollback to me in Greenville NC. Renzy called and said they would arrive around 9pm that night. 9pm came and went and finally I got a call around 10pm. The car was in route down I-95 but they were running really late. At the rate they were going they would not be to me for another 3 hours! I made a decision to drive an 1 1/2 hours and meet the driver half way just below the NC border.

Its now midnight, in route to Roanoke Rapids, NC just off I-95. Not a very glamourous place to pick up such a fine car, but it would have to do. Our rendezvous point was, of all places, The Cracker Barrel! Of course they were closed this time of night but it was the only place I knew the driver could not miss. As I pulled into town I was getting giddy. Remember, this was one of the first S8's in the US. I had not even driven one yet! I had test driven an A8 and I have a friend that has one as well but, I had not even seen an S8 in the flesh.

I see the Cracker Barrel. The parking lot is dimly lit so as I pull in I do not see the truck, but as I come closer I see the roof line of a car on a huge JerrDan rollback.

I get out of my TT and approach the S8. It looked enormous. The perspective of it being up high on the truck bed was stunning. Almost akin to a car atop its own perch. The driver said are you Mr. Corbett? My thought was who else could I be. He took the care of a master surgeon when bringing the care down the ground. The car was perfect, not a scratch. The Ming Blue paint glistened and I commented how deep the paint looked. As I opened the drivers door I looked at the Ecru sport seats and said "yes". I had not even driven the S8 yet and had gotten at least 40K worth of satisfaction.

I will email my comments on my drive home on 6/21 to any who desire to here the rest. Just drop me a line.

Good night

Wiley
2001 S8 Ming/Ecru

Quick Reply: Is the S8 grossly overpriced?