A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what would YOU do...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, what would YOU do...

Imagine: You are at an intersection waiting for a red traffic light. I stop with my A8 next to yours in another lane. I get the impression that you are not aware yet of this rather rare occasion of two A8's waiting for a traffic light to turn green. So, I briefly hit the horn and when you look over to my car and then at me I give you a "thumbs up", while having a big smile on my face saying something like: "Enjoying the ride as much as I do?!".

How would YOU respond? Let me know, so I can figure out if I've met any of you on the road last weekend. More about that later. ;-)
Old 03-06-2002, 02:59 AM

Default Re: So, what would YOU do...

I would probably follow up with a friendly wave back and a return thumbs up sign.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, most of the fellow A8 Drivers in my area are f*cking clueless about the fun part of that, and look at me like I have three heads.....me on the other hand, would probably roll down my window, and ask you if you wanted to go get a bite to eat and BS about cars for a little while........
Old 03-06-2002, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately, the majority of A8 drivers in my area are like those in Xialater's area- pretty much clueless about what their cars are really capable of, and how much fun they can be. On the other hand, I believe that the denizens of this forum are car enthusiasts, and have a lot of fun tweaking and driving their cars. Personally, if escapeA8 were to pull up next to me and wave/thumbs up, I would return the gesture, roll down the window and suggest that we see how many of the cars behind us could keep up with us to the next stop light (providing conditions were safe ;-) ). Then go somewhere for a doughnut/sandwich/beer (depending on the time of day) and learn a little more about each other and why we love our A8s so much!
Old 03-06-2002, 02:50 PM
kfk

Funny this topic should come up. I just obtained an S8 and have been driving it about 10 days. I live in a fairly small city in the mountains where Subaru's and SUV's are the norm. Lots of Audi A4's and A6's and the rare S4. Until today I knew of only one other A8/S8 in town, the driver of whom is a neighbor. I passed another today, obviously new, and got the wave/thumbs up from the driver who I did not know. It struck me...are Audi A8/S8 drivers like Harley riders? Do they have that special vehicle specific wave to one another that acknowledges some great shared experience? I'd hope so because I'm having a blast and can't imagine ever going back to a normal vehicle. In fact, I've decided to license my car SNS8TN just to capture the feeling of driving it.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not an S8/A8 owner, but...

Certain machines evoke a passion from their drivers. Unfortunately, many people who have enough money to buy finely crafted & engineered automobiles often do so only for the status. Personally, I would wave back, but I'm not sure everybody would.

Similarly, my other car is a Miata. I ALWAYS wave/honk/flash other MX-5's as if to say, "Hey, are you having as much fun as me?!" Most people seem receptive. A minority respond back...and even fewer scowl....a pity they don't relax and enjoy what they have.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So I'll keep waving like a little kid playing with his favorite toy...

I am glad to hear/read that it wasn't any of you guys I stopped next to at an intersection last weekend. When I gave the guy the "thumbs up" gesture, he looked at me kind of snobby and confused and then stared at the traffic light. Too bad! Me and my friends in the car had a good laugh looking at his rather awkward facial expression.

Funny thing I noticed is that as long as the other driver is about 30 years older than I am and doesn't wear a white shirt and tie, chances are they will wave back when driving in the opposite direction. I'll keep taking my opportunities to greet any other A8's in my path.

Thanks for your great responses. Hoping to wave back at you some day...
Old 03-06-2002, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a white Audi cap often. Does that count ? ;-)
Old 03-06-2002, 09:20 PM

Default Not just Harley riders....

Anyone who rides a street bike knows what I mean. If you ride, you wave. The only exception is that Harley riders will often not wave if you're *not* riding a Harley.

But...to answer the question, I'd probably give a half salute and lay the hammer down. Nothing special really since I pretty much do that at every opportunity
Old 03-09-2002, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes. A cap counts!

I have a couple of Audi hats myself but I also regularly wear a Bugatti hat hoping to bump into people some day friendly enough to talk with me about these wonderful automobiles and maybe even show me a couple of their own and let me drive them...;-)

Quick Reply: So, what would YOU do...