A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger? Is it a pipe dream? I bought a book today

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Some ideas

Older NA Audi's that use a vac pump and are converted to a turbo engine w/out the pump have no problem running the vac. assisted brake setup with the new engine. Pump really wasn't needed.

You can find piggy-back units for less than that Greddy unit. And honestly, something like the Apex'i S-AFC could likely handle things in conjunction with the stock ECU because of the lower level of boost, maybe 5psi due to the V8's CR.

The biggest benefit of retaining the stock ECU is that you can not only correct the fuel curves but also the timing curves. With piggy-backs you can only adjust the fuel curves and have more problems with integration/wiring/sensors.

If I want a 1000+hp engine, I'll just build a 2.2L 20vt 5cyl based on an existing 10vt or 20vt block and a 20v head with new rods and pistons...Or build a 3.6L 32v turbo (there are two of those builds going on in the US/CAN currently) depending on what chassis I'd drop it in.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Also..

Also, do not dismiss a smallish turbo or two. You might be surprised with the turbos you can find used from people that upgraded. If you know a quality welder that can make you a turbo manifold, you would be doing the same electronic changes as in a supercharger system. Only differences are:

turbos are more efficient, using heat to make more power, rather than create a parasitic loss of power at the crank.

turbos can make as much difference in HP as you want with the help of a boost controller ( within a safe compression range). Many different boost settings, for many different uses. Shopping? Racing?

When you get sick of the added power, opt for an engine rebuild, throw in some low compression pistons, add a larger turbo and raise the boost to where you want, haha.

big rigs use them and those are good for serious mileage, so I don't want to hear about blow this up yap yap. Tuning is hey of course.

Turbos makes the coolest noises, heh.

If superchargers are what you want, why not look at the paston or vortec styled units. Have someone plasma cut you some nice brackets and son on. Make some space for it, move the air box, around, add some plumbing, vroom. Helped on a few of those projects as well (older ford lighting, and a S 2000). I am currently working with that same S 2000 owner in designing a turbo system for his car. He grew sick of supercharger power after riding in my supra.

I know there is not a lot of room under an A8s bonnet, I never gave much thought to adding anything like that the few times I opened my hood since I have owned mine. Just saying

Room is my main reasoning for thinking turbos. I know there is room under the engine, near the manifolds. If Callaway can do it in the corvettes engine bay stuffed with 5.7 liters of American V8, anything is possible.

Anyways, enough blabbing. People talk boost, and I love to play, thus the nickname.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I said 1200 rear WHEEL horse power. The 2jz-gte is the king of huge horsepower stock block cars. I sure do not see any audi turbos in any drag racing events I watch, heh. Lots of 2js

If you can get 1000 wheel horse power out of an audi 2.2 liter stock block and drive it more than once down a strip I will give you a spare stock car to drive so you can keep tires on it! haha

I did not buy an audi for performance. I wanted luxury and all wheel drive. Simple as that.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I know what you said, and I know someone that can build you a 2.1L 20vt that'll make plenty of power, and would likely be faster than your 1200whp Supra ;-) The site with some very basic information hasn't been updated in a while, but the builder is an ex-AudiSport engineer (Hans Dahlback, dahlbackracing.se). All I can really say is that the test mule he built is making over 1000hp (crank) despite what the site says (900hp), and he's taken it to track events, made who knows how many dyno runs with it, taken it to car shows/meets, etc. Don't underestimate an Audi block or forged crank. Hell, there are people running the old 10vt with stock pistons, rods, crank, block, head, injectors, distributor, etc to over 400hp crank before running out of fuel.

I also know a certain custom 3.1L Supra that is barely faster than what it used to be (custom 3.0L) despite having a good amount more power. The Supra has an inherent traction problem. Going from memory, but once you hit what, 700-800hp and beyond, they all seem to stay in the high 8's or low 9's (traction problems are evident in the trap speeds)...

Reason why you don't see Audi's at the strip: Weight and cost. Both are "high" and keep them from being accepted as a viable strip car. Why people don't run the old 1st gen chassis's I don't know. Those are 2700-2900lb from the factory for a B-size chassis, and can be further lightened. Drop in a worked over 10vt or 20vt with 250-600hp being backed by a strong 5spd AWD transmission, and it'd do well IMO.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Also..

There are twin turbo kits for the V8. Install is a major PITA, cost is high, and you have to really look for them (in Europe) to find and buy them.

The pos. displacement superchargers package a lot better than a turbomachinery type supercharger or turbocharger in the Audi V6/8 engine bays. Turbo placement is not as easy as you think.

BTW, it's Paxton, not Paston.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you build a kit, count me in!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Dan....great ideas! Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Dude, do you have the S2 coupe? I clicked the pic

Looks nice...how much HP is your 10 valve motor making? That's what you have, correct?

Do you have a name?

Paul
Old 02-18-2004, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have an extra intake manifold for studying?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Dude, do you have the S2 coupe? I clicked the pic

Yeah, the red S2-bodied CQ is mine, have had it since April 1997. The 10vt isn't finished yet, but I have a Charlie Smith 1.7bar WG spring, QLCC EPROM + Socket, 40mm intake valves, Ti upper retainers, trying to locate a solid lifter cam from an older 10v to send off to be reground as a 268/260 asymmetric cam. Will also be getting rid of the Stebro to loose weight, will do a Dynomax Ultraflow setup from the downpipe back (will also use an Epiflex section and a 2.5" race cat w/O2 bung at the inlet). W/out the cam, should be around 225hp and 250lb-ft? W/cam, 250hp and 270lb-ft maybe? I've never seen dyno charts for that specific setup...

For when I get sick of the CIS system, I have a spare ported and polished 7A 20v head that will be used with an 034EFI Stage IIB or IIC stand alone computer (fuel and ignition, ISV, boost, etc, no Audi ECU).

My name is Eric, I'm used to people on the B3/B4 and Type44 forums knowing my name! ;-)

Quick Reply: Supercharger? Is it a pipe dream? I bought a book today