A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger? Is it a pipe dream? I bought a book today

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Some ideas

When I see something, I believe it.

BTW, 2jz-gtes are in the 6s and 7s.

http://www.nhraimport.com/2003/stats/records.html

the solara and the supra both have the 2j

full stock sheet metal, stock looking 2js are in the 8s

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/

Or how about a complete car, full stereo show car? STOCK BOTTOM END, doing 980 RWHP?

http://www.t04r.com/members/mikecarlin.html

Anyways,

seeing it believing:O
Old 02-18-2004, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BTW, it's Paxton, not Paston. Give that man some cheese.

I did not say to buy an expensive kit. Besides, the only reason for the expensive A8 turbo kit is the lack of A8 owners, and the lesser number of owners that actually care about added horsepower. Supply and demand, is the reason for it's expense, not because it is impossible.

I said it may be possible to fabricate one. I have been under my A8 and I am sure it can be done. There is plenty of room under there.

The only thing that stops someone from pursuing an idea is lack of enthusiasm. Let's not forget about people like you. The ones that say it's too hard, and some of the people believe you. Even tho it has been done, lol.

What is a PITA? Even if the engine had to be removed for installation, which I doubt, what does that take? Lets be pessimistic, a full day? heh. Paul where are you located? Maybe I can come help damn it.

If everything was so easy, Paul would not be so damn special. Kudos Paul.

Who will get the last word? lol :O<ul><li><a href="http://www.cheese.com/images/redragon.jpg">Congratulations! haha</a></li></ul>
Old 02-18-2004, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

You were talking about street cars. That is what I was limiting my conclusions about. If you want to include race-prepped cars to try and prove a point, fine. But that isn't what you were originally talking about.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: BTW, it's Paxton, not Paston. Give that man some cheese.

You've never tried to work on a V6 or V8 Audi very much have you...The S4tt requires the engine to be removed to service the turbos. The A6 is similarly cramped. The A8 kit is similar to the V6 layout IIRC. I've pulled Audi engines before, they are not fun to pull. Pull the engine on day one (full work day at least, I know how long I spent prepping the engine bay on both of my cars in order to pull the engine, nothing goes as planned). Clean up the engine, replace some gaskets/seals, bolt on the new stuff (EM, turbos, DP's, IC's etc), is day two. Day two/three/four would be putting the engine back in and hooking everything back up and do some test runs.

I honestly don't care who gets the last word.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe Garrett Lim (GIAC) would be interested in doing the custom ECU tuning. Contact AWE...

I believe that AWE may have the closest relationship with Garrett Lim / GIAC. I think GIAC had done the custom tuning for the larger K04 turbos that AWE installed in an S4 (Silverbullet) that acted as the testbed for what ultimately resulted in AWE selling K04 kits.

Maybe Garrett Lim /GIAC would be interested in doing the custom tune, which would then result in GIAC being able to market remapped ECU's for A8/S8 cars with the Paul-Waterloo-Supercharger-Kit.
Try contacting Todd at AWE and see if they can help.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info/index.cfm<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info/index.cfm">AWE</a></li></ul>
Old 02-18-2004, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He'd be a good candidate for the task! Probably has the proper interfacing too....

I think GIAC is who did PES's software for the 2.8 30v SC kits? So, he'd already have a starting point (not with actual maps, but with knowledge/ideas of what needs to be done and where).
Old 02-18-2004, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You are right I was.

From your previous post:

""The site with some very basic information hasn't been updated in a while, but the builder is an ex-AudiSport engineer (Hans Dahlback, dahlbackracing.se). All I can really say is that the test mule he built is making over 1000hp (crank) despite what the site says (900hp), and he's taken it to track events, made who knows how many dyno runs with it, taken it to car shows/meets, etc. ""
Old 02-18-2004, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Find me one and I'll try to find some time to design a manifold

between classes, wedding planning, and working on the CQ (which, admittedly, I have a LOT to do on that thing before May)...Flange design works a whole lot better off the gaskets though, as they are typically more consistant in shape. IM would be for locating the flanges and giving space restrictions and overall dimensions. Would also need to know how much clearance there is between the current IM and hood. Unless you guys want to do a Shaker hood on your A8's ;-) Give 'em a nice power bulge! Ideally, I'd have an A8 sitting outside to physically see what would have to be taken into account WRT SC pulley and idler pulley (if needed) location. Anyone have any thoughs on replacing the factory "shock absorber" tensioning link with a heim-jointed adjustable link? Don't want the belt slipping with the addition of the SC pulley (requires more belt tension than a normal accessory).
Old 02-18-2004, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: BTW, it's Paxton, not Paston. Give that man some cheese.

We can all appreciate your knowledge and what you can do.

Let's see what else we can do. I do not think a project car being down and out for 1-2-3 weeks is a terrible price to pay for some boost, and a new serious A8 performance upgrade. I would retire mine for 2 months for some extra power.

I have nothing against you, but the continuous negitivity is annoying, and pointing out a silly typo was the icing on the cake.

blah blah, cheers,
Old 02-18-2004, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That car is still street legal, and driveable on the street. I fail to see your point of this post.

They have also not been able to actually verify the max output of that little 2.1L engine, tires break loose on the roller dynos they've used, and hub dynos have been problematic as well, can't say anything else or I will be in breach of trust of a friend that knows Hans personally.

If you are wondering how they tuned the engine, it was on a load cell not in the car...

Like I said before, that car still gets driven on the street.

Quick Reply: Supercharger? Is it a pipe dream? I bought a book today