A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supersprint exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supersprint exhaust?

I've been quoted $595 for a Supersprint exhaust. Does anybody have any experience with this system? Does anybody have any other recommendations for a throaty exhaust that is not too loud? (don't want to get pulled over on my way to work as I am already running 5 minutes late everday Any info appreciated.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:32 AM

Default Re: supersprint exhaust?

my question is....why would you want to put a throaty exhaust on a car with such smooth and refined power? One of the great appreciations of this car is the low noise decibals in the cabin. Who would want to ruin that with a throaty exhaust meant for an M3 or a VR6??? My final statement.......just leave 5 minutes earlier!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Elder Member

Default Why? Quoting Paul at the track last week ...

Running up thru the revs, "the motor sounds like a sewing machine!" I completely agree; I once passed a Range Rover on the Interstate, and all I could hear was the Rover's motor.

Like "ecasty", I'd like to find an exhaust that at least lets me know that there's a V8 under the hood, but without being objectionable or raspy. In a perfect world, the motor would have a flat crank for maximum aural pleasure (plus the flat crank would add 2+% hp with equal length exhaust runners).
Old 05-06-2003, 09:40 AM

Default As far as sound, I believe Supersprints are what you are looking for

Randy, are you still in the Chicagoland area (or was that your brother)? If so, Laural Audi of Westmont had an S6 come in on a trade/swap Saturday that had Supersprints. I believe they are planning on selling that car from their lot, you may want to check it out.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: supersprint exhaust?

I guess being 20 years old I have different motives in upgrading my vehicle. I wouldn't expect the average person to put 15" speakers in their car or tint their windows baby blue. Nor would I expect the average A8 owner to do anything that makes their car louder. All things that make my car....MY car. However a more free flowing exhaust improves performance and milage (to some degree). I like to make heads turn, and dropping it in neutral and revving the engine does just that.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Elder Member

Default Got back to Pittsburgh last night, ...

and yes, it's Don that lives near Chicago. At the Mid-Ohio Audi event next month, I'll look around for another car with a Supersprint.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Randy, I beg to differ...

I think the S8 exhaust is perfectly suited to the car, subdued at light throttle but letting you know you have something special under the hood, and screaming under full throttle at high revs. It sounds quite "exotic" from outside the car, much louder than it is inside. Had a friend go by me in it at full throttle and I woudn't change a thing. As far as a flat-plane crank, it would decrease torque, especially at low rpms, and would increase motor vibration to an unacceptable amount for a "German muscle car."

BTW, we went with the Conti ExtremeContact rubber
on my cousins car in the stock 255/40/17 size, as you recommended. It completely transformed the car! Slightly decreased steering response, but greatly improved ride comfort, wet traction, and noise level. He is extremely happy with the car now. Thanks again.

Paul
Old 05-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Elder Member

Default Well ...

The S8 has a very pleasant sounding induction at full throttle, but I really think anything coming from the exhaust pipe is negligible. With an open driver's side window, my S8 fails both the tunnel test and driving with a concrete wall on the left side of the car. Also, I've stood along the front straight at Mid-Ohio as Don drove by in my S8, definitely at full throttle, at 6000+ rpm in 3rd ... with no noticable exhaust note. Certainly the issue of the sound of an exhaust is very subjective, but for me, it comes up short.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:18 PM

Default provide a link to Supersprint exhaust

I'am droping the exhaust soon, and I'am interested in lovering the backpressure, looks like the A-8 got lots of muffler/soundreduction/restriction, before the rear muffler, I'am with Randy and Ecstasy I want to hear that motor, thanks, jmn
Old 05-06-2003, 11:30 PM
Former Vendor

Default Supersprints are great....the perfect blend of smooth interior sounds with a

deep but pleasing rumble from outside that is only audible when you are hittting the throttle hard. Exhausts aren't made any better than this !

I think you all would be very pleased as the Supersprint's refinement would add to the car, not detract from it.

Please feel free to call for info or specific quotes.

Quick Reply: supersprint exhaust?