A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt problem!

Engine making clattering valve noise after finishing timing belt install! Only ran engine at idle for 30 seconds or so. Crank pulley was at top dead center and camshaft holding tools were installed flush during belt change. Could not get belt on over tensioner roller (even at loose setting) so I placed the belt onto cam sprocket first, and then pulled the sprocket onto the tapered shaft. What is the best way to proceed? Are there any marks on the camshafts to reference if I remove valve covers? The marks on my crank pulley differ a bit from paul's pic on audipages, my maks read "0" the scribe line, then "TB", is that normal? Any advice appreciated.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Which engine- the 32V or the 40 V? Any photos of the marks?
Old 10-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Which engine- the 32V or the 40 V? Any photos of the marks?

It's a 32V 1999. Just lifted the passenger side cam cover and there are two marks on the camshaft sprockets which are in line with each other and level with the plane of the head, while the crank pulley is at the top dead center mark.
Maybe having the car on stands,hood open, and no engine covers top and bottom make the valves sound noisy? Or a lifter drained of oil? Can the camshaft locating tools only be installed flush in place when at top dead center?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If both camshaft positioners were installed with the crank at TDC.....

and remained untouched, then the cams are correctly located. If the crank is at TDC FOR SURE when you install the TB (per the procedure on Audipages, I hope, with a cold engine) and the TB tension is set correctly, then you should have everything lined up. Is the noise a clicking sound or harsher than a click? It is certainly possible that one or more of the hydraulic lifters has lost oil and will be noisy for a minute or two. However, I don't recall any lifter noise after doing my TB- any one else care to weigh in on this one? Be VERY careful on this one- the down side is huge! What city are you in- maybe someone can stop in to help.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If both camshaft positioners were installed with the crank at TDC.....

Half way between Montreal and Ottawa. It's a clicking sound. I'm going to remove drivers side cam cover tomorrow and check if the two marks (little black circles) on the camshaft sprockets are in the same position as the ones on the passenger side (level with the head). Is it possible to check tdc by using a long screwdriver in the #1 sparkplug hole? Am I correct in assuming that the cam locating tools could not be installed flush if not at tdc, (it was at tdc)because of the little dowel pin on (I think?)at least one of the tools.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If the cam tools are flush with the head, then they are on properly....

One of the cam tool's index is off center and only fits on when the crank is at cylinder 1 TDC (compression stroke). As far as the crank is concerned, TDC is TDC when disconnected from the cams- it doesn't care if it is on the compression or exhaust stroke. I'm not aware of any other forum menbers in your part of Canada, but is anyone out there?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Did my TB, waterpump etc

Now my 97A8 sounds like a desiel. runs great but sounds a bit too loud
Old 10-18-2004, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Sounds like a diesel?

My TB makes some noise, but sounds more like a Supercharger than diesel.....are you sure you set everything up correctly? Make sure it's not the valves clattering!
Old 10-18-2004, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Agreed with skiracer

Don't know if your hydraulic valve is making the noise, but mine does every once in a while after a spirited autocross or lapping session at the track, but that's just for a few minutes. Normally that means that I'm not completely full on oil.

Check everything again, put it back together, make sure the oil is to the top of the fill line on the dipstick, and try again.

Good luck!

pw
Old 10-19-2004, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I would suspect it is some valve clatter

The car does run great, am I running a risk if I do nothing? I am very satisfied with it except for some additional noise which I can live with.