A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Woes

I am having an impossible time getting the cam holding fixtures to seat perfectly, simultaneously on both sides. If I get one to work, the other won't seat completely. It is apparent that they are slightly out of synch. I have tried turning the camshaft a full turn (many times), jiggling, etc. Do the holding fixtures have to be absolutely flush with the heads where they mate? I was making progress, but I have spent 4-5 hours on removing cam covers, cleaning and trying to align cam fixtures.

When you turn the camshaft do you use the 3197 tool (like in the procedure write up) or the 2079 -- the long socket wrench (it's easier to use but tightens the harmonic balancer bolt).

Also, I am trying to figure out how to remove (unscrew) to replace the cam cover seal from the cam cover below the position sensor. What tool will work?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I had a similar problem with my holding fixtures......

I would get one fully seated and the second as close to seated as possible prior to removing the TB. Also be sure that the you have the correct positioning tool on the correct side- they are NOT the same. Once the TB is off, properly seat the second cam positioner (just jiggle the cam- don't rotate it to any extent) and tighten fully. This should propery position the cams for reassembly. As for the cam cover below the position sensor- the lower (second) cover on the driver's side needs to be removed before installing the cam positioner- it that your problem with the positioner? There are two Torx (T-25 I think, but not sure) screws holding it on. Remove the cam position sensor metal disk and bolt prior to removing the second cover. Use a flashlight and mirror to inspect the area to see what is going on- it is very cramped in there! Re post if you have any other questions/problems.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default skiracer is correct

I would get the LH cam lock in place, then try and get the RH cam lock to seat. If you can't, then using the cam holding tool, rotate that cam back and forth a little to get it to lock into place.

The RH cam holding tool (these are the same tools used on skiracer's car) doesn't always want to seat perfectly, but it will work.

As skiracer mentions, once you get the timing belt off, then just rotate the RH cam with the cam sprocket holding tool a bit and it will fall perfectly into place.

That's why you need the tools to reindex your cams versus that guy who mentioned to count teeth. Especially when you have 117K on your first belt.

Good luck, I'm in the office today if you need any help.

pw
Old 01-09-2004, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default <*threadjack*>

I don't have access to my email from here, behind a client's firewall. Did you get my response? Do you need any of that "tape", or are you going to acquire locally?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default <*threadjack*>response</*threadjack*>

Yea, I sent you an email with my address....I'll take some of that tape!

Thanks!

pw
Old 01-09-2004, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do we need to install &lt;*HTML/ "LoJack"&gt; systems on our threads now? (LoL!)
Old 01-09-2004, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, will mail it out tonight, should be there in a few days.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: skiracer is correct

Thanks for your help. It makes sense to jiggle the camshaft. I was jiggling harmonic balancer. When the passengers side tool would fit perfectly, the driver's side would be just a hair from fully covering flush and screwing tight. I'll try moving camshaft after timing belt is removed if necessary.

I have replaced the big blue "O" rings, but also have the camshaft seal on the drivers side that apparently screws into the cam cover. It has small indentation holes and an arrow apparently telling you which way to loosen (or tighten). I am looking for a tool to remove this seal.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would not replace the camshaft front seal unless leaking

You have to pull the cam for this I believe. It's the front seal you are talking about? If so, I've never seen one leaking.....let sleeping dogs sleep.

Never changed one so I couldn't be any help.

pw
Old 01-09-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Danke!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Woes