A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires Tires Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Tires Tires

I have to get a new set of tires for the S8 18 inch wheels and would like to get something besides the pilot sports. What is good sport tire that is noticably quieter?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-26-2003, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are looking for a summer tire the Dunlop Sp Sport 01

This is a nice quiet tire that handles well. I had these put on my fathers corvette. The only downfall is that these are not all season tires, but who takes the vette out in the snow?
Old 12-26-2003, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've been dying to try Goodyear F1 GS-D3's.

There have been great write-ups on them.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rode with the Michelin S.C. plant guy who's in charge of

track / road testing and such. He was at the xtrememeasures driving school I sent my son to, checking out the school for possible Michelin sponsorship, and giving thrill rides in his 996 (with full roll cage and 4-point harnesses). It was great fun riding through the figure-8 skidpad with him. ;-)

During the ride, I was quizzing him about tire selections. For all-seasons, he strongly endorsed what has already become the forum consensus - the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season. He says the Michelin compound engineers just really have a superior wet compound in that tire.

For a pure performance tire, he recommended the Goodyears (also a Michelin product), though this would be a soft, shorter tread life selection. For a better tread life, and nearly as good a grip, he recommended the Michelins.

Needless to say, he's biased towards Michelins, which is OK.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default I run P25540ZR19 Eagle F1 GSD3

I've had those tires for about 8 mounth's now and have been very pleased. They have awsome dry traction and coupled with the quattro system, excellent in the rain. I have about 7500 miles on them and should to give me about 40k so I am really happy. I've never run michelins for any length of time so I cannot compare them to the sport pilots.

I do have to disclose that I am a Goodyear, Dunlop retailer in the Atlanta area so I'm a liitle biased on my tire choices. One thing that intersted me was JimR's thread that the Goodyear ( was a Michelin Product ). The Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 are all made in Germany but I have heard no info that they were made by Michelin. Maybe I was mis-interpreting his thread. I know Goodyear & Michelin have agreed to co develop some run flat systems. Goodyear uses regular rims for our runflats versus Michelin used their PAX system with special wheels. But that probalby to much info unluss you are a tire geek like me.

I sell all makes of tires so you can ask me about any specific tires and I will really give you an honest advise if you want.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Tires Tires Tires

what is the consensus for snow tires for 18" wheels?
Old 12-26-2003, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Go to your post and edit it, removing the URL in "Optional Link URL" before hitting "Update post".

Do it fast!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Oops - misremembered that - It's Goodrich that Michelin owns.

And I think the performance tire that the test driver was recommending was the g-Force T/A.

And with a quick look at tire rack, I don't think they make one of an appropriate size for these cars.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Snow Tires for 18-inch wheels (S8)

Check with TireRack (www.tirerack.com)

Look at these:
Dunlop WinterSport M2
Dunlop WinterSport M3
Michelin Pilot Alpin
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22
Pirelli SnowSport 210
Pirelli SnowSPort 240

Also, if available in 18-inch size, you might want to consider:
Nokian WR (formerly called the NRW)
Old 12-26-2003, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Go to your post and edit it, removing the URL in "Optional Link URL" before hitting "Update post

Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Tires Tires Tires