A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Drop Out - Mine doesn't do it as of tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Basically the VB is out of specification.

When Audi wrote the program for the TCU, they didn't know it will wear out. The TC control is pre-programmed. It will not change over time like shifting program. The TCU doesn't recognise hunting, it just does what it's supposed to. Back in the day when I was swapping 97' 02' VB daily, it didn't take time to learn the change. It was good/bad right away.
My mod is just brings the VB back to specification. I wouldn't call it hacking because the TC does work exactly as it should. The logs we took shows how well the TC works. I guarantee all my work. If Tony or Paul has a smallest problem with the rebuilt, they can bring it back any time.
Before I do another rebuild, I would like to see how these two work for a few weeks.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sprechen ze deutch-very roughly here is some of the text-I will look later

Babble fish!

:-)

CalG
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you look the logs again, check out mes, block 1.

The first block is engine rpm the second is tranny input rpm. They show you how much the regulating slip is. The TC slip speed in group 7 is a calculated number. It is far from accurate. The two rpm values is reading, so it is more accurate. Vag-com is actually too slow to monitor the hunting. 1 second reading interval is just too much. When you see 0 slip speed, check out the engine/tranny input rpm. You will see it is regulating as it should.
This mod will not give you hard shifts because the TC is regulating a lot during shifting.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Big hunt!

Ahh yess, I see the difference. Lately I am thinking the symtoms may be many with but a few common words for us to share the sensations.

At this time, My vehicle "hunts" by way of very short duration excursions of TCC partial release. Always between 1200 and 2000 Engine RPM, always under light acceleration or load, and always recordable as a change of operational status of the PWM N218, ESD-4 solenoid. Delta Time may be less than a second. perhaps a bit more.
The big changes, I chock up to "power control" (my term) ;-)

CalG
Old 03-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Torque Converter Drop Out - Mine doesn't do it as of tonight

Here's hoping this works out -- so will Gator consider passing his mods to other mechanics for a fee? Or can we ship valve bodies and have them modified?

Also, just so I'm clear, this still entails pulling the transmission, correct? But by retaining all parts it's just labor costs, plus the TPS and anything else that should be replaced with a tranny out?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First I want to see a long term success ( a few weeks)

then I will make it available. You will not have to drop the transmission, just the pan and a valve body. It takes 1-2 hours with the fluid refill.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Default I meant hacking in a complimentary "reverse engineering with little support documentation" sense

as opposed to opening up a service manual and finding a chart which tells you what parts to change.

Anyway, what goes out of spec and how is it repaired?

Tom
Old 03-15-2007, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes I agree the block 1 figures are more accurate

I used the block7 as an easier way to monitor because as you point out vag is too slow to log a dropout accurately and precisley.
By using the block 7 it is easy to show that the car is out of spec during TCC and the logs in my post below show the difference in a good trans and a bad one in a way that others can see.
I am sure what you have done will stack up over time and can only be pleased that I have a 4 speed as you are too far away to mod mine
Old 03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Babel fish is clever but not always accurate sadly-still it gives the general idea
Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default What goes out of spec, and what is repaired.....

...I think this is the part Gabor wants to keep to himself. He explained it to me, and I tell you, it sure makes perfect sense to me.

If it's a long term solution, he could rebuild valve bodies for people and make a few bucks.

Heck, that's what I would do. Giving things away and people asking for free advice doesn't always pay......the bills.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Drop Out - Mine doesn't do it as of tonight