A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise. FROM WHAT?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nope!

Originally Posted by A8CT
Just for kicks, tell me if the noise goes away with the HVAC turned off.
The electric fan makes a loud squealing sound when they go bad. It sounds exactly like a belt/pulley squealing, easy to miss.

Bob
No change with HVAC turned off...
Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Default "Lord of the rings" was already occupied...

Originally Posted by RJPUK
I can't speak for The Ringleader (with a name like that, who could?) but in my case turning the a/c off, or indeed the whole HVAC unit off, makes no difference. Again in my case, the sound is a resonance like a tuning fork, and I could almost believe it could be airflow over something, but there is a delay before it starts, so it must be mechanical and affected by something warming up or getting oil pressure. It could be a resonance of a drive shaft being set off by tyre vibration or a slightly loose bearing, but without a better idea of where to look I have been reluctant to just replace parts randomly, particularly since in my case the noise is generally quiet enough to be drowned out by opening the sunroof or a window, and has not progressed at all in a year to identify the culprit.
In my case I just canīt ignore the sound. I experience it as getting louder also.

Do you also notice a slight vibration connected to the sound? I can clearly feel it mainly on the floor. Just a little, but still.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The Ringleader
In my case I just canīt ignore the sound. I experience it as getting louder also.

Do you also notice a slight vibration connected to the sound? I can clearly feel it mainly on the floor. Just a little, but still.
When I said that I ignore it, I was perhaps overstating my degree of calm. It would be more truthful to say I have learned to live with it, but would prefer it gone. Funny thing is that it is almost inaudible as a rear seat passenger, and definitely worse if I sit forward when driving, so the sound is being focussed somehow.

No vibration that I can tell. I have been waiting for something to get worse so whatever it is reveals itself, but so far no other symptoms at all. Perhaps my car just likes singing to itself.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

hey bud check the tires wearout...mine does the same sound and it chopped on sides and wore out in the middle..i knwo thats the alignment bastards didnt do aligment right
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my case the tyres are indeed quite worn, but have done so evenly, so I believe my alignment is OK. Also tried it with wheels and different tyres off my S6, and got the same noise. TBH the noise is fairly minimal at present, but if The Ringleader or anyone else experiences their noise getting worse, and finally bad enough to diagnose, I would certainly like to know what their culprit was.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If it sounds like tire noise, (pitch changing with road speed) and you've ruled out tire problems, it's most likely wheel bearings. This can be difficult to confirm with the car jacked up off the ground, but when the problem gets acute enough, you can feel subtle vibration from the hub when turning the axle. I replaced the front and rear bearing on my 98 A8 (85,000 miles), and it's once again silent like a new car. I had slid in the snow and bumped a curb (bent a wheel in the process) and this precipitated the problem. The front bearing was loud and the problem apparent with the car jacked up. Replaced it first, and detected noise still coming from the rear. Could not detect it was bad, but replaced on the suspicion it was bad, and the car was quiet again. The bearings can fail under 100,000 miles, and you can drive on a noisy bearing for a long time without suffering a break down.