A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start.....emergency please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start.....emergency please help!

I turn the ignition, and the car wont start at all, totally dead. All of the lights and door locks and everything work just fine, and I put a new battery in 8 months ago. The car gets power, but no check engine lights or VDU lights come on when I turn the key. It rained hard last night, but I dont know whats wrong.....anyone have any good words? Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default If '00 or newer, sounds like an immobilizer problem

I can't figure out what your problem is from your description. Does the engine actually turn over? Does it want to start? Can you smell unburnt fuel at the exhaust?

Tom had some immobilizer problems, he could probably tell you what the symptoms are. If it's a 99 and older, it's something else.

I'm off to change my TB, so I won't be around until tonight at least.

Good luck.

pw
Old 09-05-2003, 04:38 AM

Default Re: If '00 or newer, sounds like an immobilizer problem

Well its a 99. The engine wont turn over at all. Dont here the starter or anything, turning the ignition does absolutely nothing. No unburnt fuel or anything, and the battery power seems just fine, plus its a new battery so I dont think I need a jump. I drove home yesterday, parked. Rained all night, got up this morning and the ignition start is dead. Thanks PaulW
Old 09-05-2003, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bad ignition switch? Corroded/loose contacts at the starter? Bad starter? Bad/stuck starter relay?

Looks like you're going to need to do some troubleshooting. Get an electrical schematic of the starter circuit and start tracking down the problem. Start at the starter motor and work back to the ignition switch. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but there is only so much someone can do from long distance ;-)
Old 09-05-2003, 05:19 AM
GSR
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I think it is an immobilizer problem

I may be confusing myself with another car, but I thought I had this problem once on my 97 A8. The trick to resetting has something to do with being inside the car and using the remote to lock and then unlock (alarm and then un-alarm) the car. Then use the key and it should start. If not, check the problems posted by skiracer.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:12 AM

Default This happened to me on my 2000..

I used a new key, freshly cut but not programmed to be recognized as a legit key. The dealer has a secret code (that he will gladly sell you for about $120 per hour)that allows new keys to work. I still have two that work the door, trunk, and glove box but not the ignition.

Anyway....once the imobilizer kicks in, you need a not-quite-as-secret code to re-mobilize the car, and the "secret code" to make the new key work. My car was actually at the dealer when I tried my new key and immobilized the car, so they just re-programmed her there.

One coincidence with yours is that my ECU short circuited while stopped at a light in very heavy rain. I ended up with a new ECU when we discovered that two spark sending pins had cross fused. They were the pins that send the message that the cylinder needs a spark. I had a 6 cyl. A8 for a bit. My mechanic (an honest one at that) said the inside of the ecu was damp.

Long and short of it...I think you need the re-mobilization code for your car to get it going. I think VAG-COM can do this if you have the code, if not you need to take it to the dealer.

GL
Tom
Old 09-05-2003, 06:16 AM

Default I think the switch is fine...

...it does turn on all the other functions in the car, just not the starter. See my post above about the immobilizer and the new key issue.

If the pre '00 models don't have an immobilizer, then he clearly has a bad connection, fuse, or ecu issue.

I also remember some sort of dash message that came up, I'll check my owners manual to see if that is correct.

Tom
Old 09-05-2003, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Won't start.....emergency please help!

May sound like a dumb question, but have you tried making sure it is all the way in park?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:21 AM

Good one, what a relief that would be.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Won't start.....emergency please help!

It must have been an immobilizer. But all I did was detach the battery, then reattached it and it starts now. Just renetered the radio code, set the clock and now Im running to work since Im 5 hours late. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Won't start.....emergency please help!