A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon fault code: 01539 Headlights not Adujusted

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon fault code: 01539 Headlights not Adjusted

I'm new VAG-COM and think I may have mucked something up by mistake. I was browsing under basic settings (not really knowing what I was doing) and now I get a fault code:
"01539 Headlights not Adjusted 35-00".

When I attempt to reset the code, the code just comes straight back. I don't think the code was there before I entered the Basic Settings in VAG-COM.

I would be very grateful if anyone else has seen such a code and knows how to resolve it.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited by JoePGT5S; 11-24-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just wanted to add a little more info. From searching around the forums, it would seem the fix is to go back into Basic Settings - 04 and select Group 001 and then Group 002; however when I do this the fields on the Basic Settings window populate with:
ERROR: Group 001 Not Available

I did try Output Tests -03 and could go through the test steps and hear the headlight motors working.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thankfully I can close out this thread with a solution that worked for me. After spending some time over at the VAG-COM forum I was able to get a hint that one of my sensors may be reading 'out-of-range' when the car was level. Using VAG-COM I could see that the rear sensor was reading 3.63V on level ground. This turned out to be too high for the Basic-Settings to execute the "Adjust Headlights" function. I could confirm this by jacking up the rear of the car a little bit, which dropped the voltage below 3 (from the rear sensor) and then confirmed the "Adjust Headlights" function could be carried out (no error message). A better permanent fix was to slightly bend the clip that held the sensor arm to the rear control arm, to get the voltage around 3.3V with car on level ground. With this done I was able to complete the Basic Settings process without any issue and the Xenon fault code reset and stayed reset. No more annoying warning symbol on the dash. Total cost = $0.
The following users liked this post:
tampa_s4 (05-19-2021)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2000 A8L and the headlight dash warning is on. where are the leveling sensors located? And do I need the vag-com to get the voltage reading off of the sensors? Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johny boats
I just bought a 2000 A8L and the headlight dash warning is on. where are the leveling sensors located? And do I need the vag-com to get the voltage reading off of the sensors? Thanks
The leveling sensors are connected to the lower control arms on the LHS of the vehicle. Best to remove the left tires to access. You could probably use a multimeter to get the readings off the sensors, but I'm not sure. Also there are many many issues that could trigger the warning light, so VAG-COM is necessary to point you in the right direction.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePGT5S
Thankfully I can close out this thread with a solution that worked for me. After spending some time over at the VAG-COM forum I was able to get a hint that one of my sensors may be reading 'out-of-range' when the car was level. Using VAG-COM I could see that the rear sensor was reading 3.63V on level ground. This turned out to be too high for the Basic-Settings to execute the "Adjust Headlights" function. I could confirm this by jacking up the rear of the car a little bit, which dropped the voltage below 3 (from the rear sensor) and then confirmed the "Adjust Headlights" function could be carried out (no error message). A better permanent fix was to slightly bend the clip that held the sensor arm to the rear control arm, to get the voltage around 3.3V with car on level ground. With this done I was able to complete the Basic Settings process without any issue and the Xenon fault code reset and stayed reset. No more annoying warning symbol on the dash. Total cost = $0.
Bingoooooooooooooooo this trick helped meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee , Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu very very much