A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 A8 Air ride compressor wiring help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 A8 Air ride compressor wiring help needed!

Hi,
I'm new here as I just bought an A8 that needs some love. I know my way around BMWs pretty good, but I'm new to Audi.

My problem is that there was a minor accident right where the air ride compressor is and the wiring was mangled. I have it mostly repaired, but have four wires left. They go to the temp sensor and the solenoid. The wires were pulled out of the plugs, so I can not figure which is which. I looked all over the internet for a wiring diagram/color code and am stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
B
Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OK. Why would the compressor not run while in the car and run fine when Jumpered to a battery? Also, when jumpered it wont raise the car at all. Could the temp sensor not being hooked up make it not work?

The relay and 40A fuse are good, so Im stumped on why it wont run. Maybe there is a fuse for the Module? Where is the module on the 06 A8?

Stumped!
Old 06-15-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 591 Likes on 495 Posts

Did you literally continuity test the fuse? Ask me how I know... As in, if it is the OE German one a break in the inside is next to impossible to see and it seems fine to the casual glance. Only when i tested my fuse with an ohmmeter and got an infinite reading did I look super closely and saw the smallest hairline crack inside. Bad fuse package design in general from the OES.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,
OK, I will double check that in am. I have another fuse anyway. While I have the dash down, I will try to test the relay as well.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 591 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by ridinfool
Hi,
OK, I will double check that in am. I have another fuse anyway. While I have the dash down, I will try to test the relay as well.
If you have the dash down and relay exposed, I would replace if still the original that came w/ car. Known wear item. You can pry the cover off, but not as easy as others I have done and more likely to damage the plastic. I did mine--while replacing that fuse that ultimately proved bad. I tore the relay housing open to check condition. By approx 140K miles and at then 11 years old, contacts were showing clear wear signs.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I will check that for sure.

Anyone want to guess as to why I cant get the car to lift when I "hotwire " the compressor? Maybe the Module has to tell which valves to open?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ridinfool
I will check that for sure.

Anyone want to guess as to why I cant get the car to lift when I "hotwire " the compressor? Maybe the Module has to tell which valves to open?
Is the car lowered? The car shouldn't rise when it's the height set by the MMI. The car is raised or lowered by the valve block and the tank and not by the pump. The pump only works when the pressure of the tank is less than desired. It's not very smart to jump start the pump, because you pump air to a one way valve to the valve block. Read one of my posts and understand the system. Most people screw up a perfectly working system by doing things blindly and break it in the process.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,
The car is on the bump stops(all the way down) since the accident. I did go back and review your videos and can almost tell what colors of the wires are for the temp sensor and the solenoid. I will hook those up in the am.

After that, I will have to figure out what is not allowing compressor / air tank or valve block to send air to shocks? Making changes in MMI has no effect. Any ideas are welcome. I appreciate the help so far.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Like MP4.2 suggested, make sure the fuse and relay are good. Check the pump air line to the valve block is not open. The valve block G291 will open the solenoid valve to let air into the tank and open the valves to the struts to raise or lower them. It's not very complicated, if the green and yellow warning lights are on, the system knows the struts need air and turn on the pump (just like my video). If the system is air tight, the valve block will lift the car even with leaky strut. Make sure to put in LIFT mode. If the air line is open from Pump to valve block then the tank will not be filled and the pump will be turned off when hot by the controller. Remove the pump line to see if there's air coming out when you jump the pump, if there's air, then the pump is fine (at least without knowing how much pressure it produces). Assuming all struts air bags are good, only 3 things: pump, controller and valve block. It must be something simple missing due to the accident. The system doesn't just die. Audi suspension system is solid IMO.
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/2006-...19k-miles.html
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-16-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OK guys, thanks to 3Dogs videos it is now working!!!! I watched the video that shows the location of the pump and enlarged it and paused it to see the color of the wires for the temp and solenoid. It seems to be working as it should and it drives properly. System for sure needs input from those wires etc.... to work.

Now my next step is to source a headlight and fender.

thanks for your help guys!

Quick Reply: 06 A8 Air ride compressor wiring help needed!