A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8 3.0 TDI ABS module connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A8 3.0 TDI ABS module connector

Hi Guys

I broke my favorite toy yesterday whilst attempting fix an ABS / Wheel speed issue, the car speedo started bouncing around a few days ago for about 10 seconds whilst on the motorway then the car threw up ABS lights / parking brake lights etc and the speedo dropped to zero and stays there. A restart of the car cleared the lights and the speedo once again moves but bounces around the speed you are doing when the car moves for around 5 seconds then the fault lights come on and the speedo drops again, if i brake before the car shuts down the speedo and puts on all the fault lights the ABS pump kicks in, a plug into a diagnostic identified front left wheel speed signal implausible. That situation seemed straight forward to me in that the car thinks the wheel is locking up etc due to an erratic signal.

I got a new wheel speed sensor and fitted it, no change at all, i figured its either the wheel bearing magnets that triggers the sensor or a wiring issue, in my infinite wisdom I removed the ABS Module connector (How I wish I didnt) and checked the wiring between the wheel speed plug and the ABS module plug, it came back good with around 0.2 ohms on both wires (I thought that was OK?)

I then went to refit the plug, it was a little sticky on removal so I sprayed a little WD40 on the connector sliding mechanism to ease the refit, it didnt ease anything and the connector arm broke and now the slider mechanism which has one each side is totally goosed and will need replaced. the plug is 80 percent in and stuck, its a knightmare to get to as the water bottle hose is right on top and its in a valley of components. now i think the connector cannot be fully located as the car throws up all the ABS related faults and EML and brake wear lights right after the car starts and the speedo is instantly disabled so I am guessing I have bent a pin or pins on the module or the damaged mechanical sliding mechanism is stopping the plug going home.

As it is difficult to get to I think I may have remove the water reservoir, steering pump reservoir etc to get the unit closer to get the plug off as the mechanism is goosed, i was hoping to get my hands on a plug as i need a new one of course and so I can work out the safest way to remove the damaged one from the module once Iv got better access to it.

Can you guys advise on:

1. The connector appears to be specific to the A8 of that era, is it used on anything else? Not expecting to find any A8s in my local breakers.

2. Do any of you guys know if the plug / mechanism can be purchased new anywhere?

3. Can the closing mechanism be removed from the plug and replaced on its own without a huge wiring job being required

4. I am right that the front wheel bearing has magnetic signal points on it that can break and cause the original issue

Any advice gratefully received

Kris
Old 07-26-2018, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know. It is the same plug for a6.

but re-pin it could be hard.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply everything I seen on the a6 had different plugs but this was on eBay looking at sketchy images

So a slight update. A new day (morning in Scotland) and some more coffee and I got the plug back off to find that a piece of the broken lock-in mechanism had fallen into the base of the socket on the ABS module.

Fished it out and the pulled out the broken sliders that are the locking mechanism on each side and pushed the plug home, in theory now all I need is a complete sliding unit to slide into the plug body and fit and now locking handle. Huge relief. Temp use of cable ties until I can solve that one.

Car is back to original issue of a speed sensing issue.

Are the front wheel bearings mounted with magnets etc to give the pickup sensor a pluse as it passes?

kris?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The wiring loom insulation for the first foot or so of the abs module is known to deteriorate over time and flake away. The symptoms you describe align with this. If the loom inspects and ohms out ok, then it’s likely the module itself is done. The electronics can be separated from the valve body relatively easily and sent off for repair.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fixed..

The wheel bearing Front Nearside for the UK or left hand side from inside the car looking forward had a broken magnetic wheel speed ring, about an inch of the ring had split and moved causing an erratic signal.

60 quid wheel bearing and the car is back to its happy functioning self.

Still need to secure the ABS module plug now as it’s not locked in and I want to avoid any ingress there to the connections etc.

Thanks for the help guys.