A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 S8 Trouble with the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Fair point and it's nothing personal, but he's spent the time posting about his expensive experience when literally 2 minutes with Google will pull up all this info and he'd have saved $$$ which is where the mild frustration is stemming from.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Fair point, but literally 2 minutes with Google will pull up all this info from previous posts and he'd have saved $$$. Makes it seem pointless us posting our fixes if they're not going to be looked for.
Yes, but in turn on fluid you have to get into nuances like the Esso or Shell formula (I forget which one the ZF6 is) going off exclusive distribution and/or if it is one that lists compliance or equivalency to the specific spec. Further, I don't know there is any supplier for Blue besides Audi. Thus in this scenario going down the specific path of the TSB ZF doesn't even have it, since they decided to supersede it to ZF8 (Green) even though Audi did not. And even if one goes to ZF8 as some have, that is more more expensive from either ZF or Audi (similar to Blue price wise from Audi), and I don't know what third party equivalency and availability is for Green--again, as opposed to Gold.

I also can't conclude toward the direction you went on the software. It was meant to address the hoot issue rather than generalized shifting, but no more was said about it IIRC. Deeper dive technically, perhaps remember prior posts where I talked to one of the apparently knowledgable hands on rebuilders & distributors for ZF (Ericsson Industries in CT), who pointed out the six speed works intentionally by controlled leakage around some critical steel on steel bushings. Steel on steel after lead got banned for anything at least Euro. Speculative, but I can imagine different code parameters could allow different outer bounds and for permitted leakage and pressures in shifting contexts. The six speed was the first where the no lead materials approach got implemented AFAIK, and the D3 was relatively early in its use. So it doesn't surprise me that along the way they may have found some better software settings, including ones found over lots of accumulated field time and mileage. Having had it done after I changed my own fluid, it didn't cure my tranny's ills, which were in either the solenoids or more likely the deformed Mechatronics seal. But because my repair was over several steps to get to really good result, I can't dismiss end software change effect either.

Thus, no I don't think two minutes on Google gets to this either. Wouldn't begin to get you to the Mechatronics seal issue either, which you pretty much have to approach either from the BMW angle...or my posts.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-11-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I should stumble upon this thread. My S8 just started doing this. In sport or manual mode, not in regular auto. Mine does the rev and slam into gear when shifting from second to first. When it first happened I thought I had been rear ended.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
Funny I should stumble upon this thread. My S8 just started doing this. In sport or manual mode, not in regular auto. Mine does the rev and slam into gear when shifting from second to first. When it first happened I thought I had been rear ended.
Hmmm, might be worth a new thread, but you might first try a straight fluid change sticking w/ Gold/ZF LG6/their equivalents, plus do the adaptation procedure per the end of TSB. If resolved, great. Or even just run the adaptation driving procedure with tranny as is and see if it gets rid of it; kind of like a reset on your cell phone. If not then can go down the more pricy and involved paths addressed or mentioned in this thread.

Slamming down in lower gears reminds me of some of the Mechatronics seal related posts on BMW's that used the same basic ZF six speed. Mine was in upper gears w/ kick down under acceleration where there didn't seem to be many others of any make with the tranny experiencing it--Jags, larger BMWs, bigger Audis and a few other obscure fitments. Sport affected mine a bit (for the better), but I suspected it was more because it was changing the shift RPM's, which gear it was in to start with, and when it executed a down shift. . Fortunately on these there are likely fixes, but it is a bit of a guess which one it will be. Hence try the easiest and lesser cost ones first, especially since if you end up inside with the Mechatronics or solenoids you are likely to want to do a multiple cycle flush anyway.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:25 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I have said, after the service work and fluid change by the dealership, mine no longer has that "slam" in sport mode.
Even though these transmissions are supposed to have "lifetime" service, the manufacturer recommends a fluid change at 100,000 km/62,000 miles.

Must read - Response from ZF regarding the 6HP26 maintenance & more. - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Hmmm, might be worth a new thread, but you might first try a straight fluid change sticking w/ Gold/ZF LG6/their equivalents, plus do the adaptation procedure per the end of TSB. If resolved, great. Or even just run the adaptation driving procedure with tranny as is and see if it gets rid of it; kind of like a reset on your cell phone. If not then can go down the more pricy and involved paths addressed or mentioned in this thread.

Slamming down in lower gears reminds me of some of the Mechatronics seal related posts on BMW's that used the same basic ZF six speed. Mine was in upper gears w/ kick down under acceleration where there didn't seem to be many others of any make with the tranny experiencing it--Jags, larger BMWs, bigger Audis and a few other obscure fitments. Sport affected mine a bit (for the better), but I suspected it was more because it was changing the shift RPM's, which gear it was in to start with, and when it executed a down shift. . Fortunately on these there are likely fixes, but it is a bit of a guess which one it will be. Hence try the easiest and lesser cost ones first, especially since if you end up inside with the Mechatronics or solenoids you are likely to want to do a multiple cycle flush anyway.
The car is at the dealer now and I am in a loaner. The shop foreman said he can't recreate the problem and has never heard of this issue. These guys quoted me almost $900 for a transmission flush, which sounds insane to me.

They have had my car for 2 days now. As much as I like the Q5 Prestige with only 300km on it, I want my S8 back
Old 10-28-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Transmission flush can get very expensive if they do it properly and use OEM parts and fluid. That's about what I'd expect the dealer to charge. The OEM fluid is particularly expensive, as others have noted.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The car is at the dealer now and I am in a loaner. The shop foreman said he can't recreate the problem and has never heard of this issue. These guys quoted me almost $900 for a transmission flush, which sounds insane to me.

They have had my car for 2 days now. As much as I like the Q5 Prestige with only 300km on it, I want my S8 back

Well, shop foreman I guess probably does forklift replace; that's the std. dealer approach if they find something. Per other response, the fluid is expensive if they do a 3x cycle. Since an S8 uses the more standard "Gold"/ZF Lifeguard 6/equivalents, you could just take it to an indy shop. If it is truly slamming, I'm not convinced the fluid change will do it, excepting that is if the fluid is simply low.

Net, I would get a single cycle fluid change, probably w/ filter and get it adapted. See if it improves. If no improvement, likely something else internal. And again, if foreman hasn't heard of it, he doesn't know the ZF 6 speed enough. There are posts around on the (not very common) issues, including some by me and a number on the similar tranny used in BMW V8's of the era, other than they were RWD only.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer still has my car. The service manager took my car home last night and couldn't recreate the issue. Now he is taking it home for the weekend. If it's not sorted by Monday, I am just going to pick it up. I brought it to an Audi dealer thinking they would be the experts and I am getting very frustrated here. I'm not a fan of others taking out my car, especially home.

So far I have spent
$250 for an engine oil change
$199 alignment(inside of rear tires are worn to the cords)
$148 diagnostic on trunk not closing with button on trunk lid
$299 new button for trunk and installation
$148 transmission diagnostic
Old 10-30-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealer still has my car. The service manager took my car home last night and couldn't recreate the issue. Now he is taking it home for the weekend. If it's not sorted by Monday, I am just going to pick it up. I brought it to an Audi dealer thinking they would be the experts and I am getting very frustrated here. I'm not a fan of others taking out my car, especially home.

So far I have spent
$250 for an engine oil change
$199 alignment(inside of rear tires are worn to the cords)
$148 diagnostic on trunk not closing with button on trunk lid
$299 new button for trunk and installation
$148 transmission diagnostic
Well, if he says he still can't replicate the issue and has to take it to Florida, I'd take it elsewhere.

Quick Reply: 2008 S8 Trouble with the transmission