A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 D3 - ABS - Handbrake malfunction - Brake wear warnings

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Ok we get it....you don’t like VCDS and think old school diagnostics is better. Your choice. I still advocate using it as the very capable diagnostic tool it’s designed to be, alongside traditional diagnostics methods. It’s not designed to replace such techniques, just complement them by giving you an insight into what’s going on inside all those little black boxes that otherwise you have no way of knowing.

The mistake people make with VCDS is assuming that what it tells you is 100% correct. However this assumes that the module reporting the fault is functioning correctly and outputting correct diagnostic info. Diagnostic info that doesn’t make sense even after you’ve checked and eliminated the possibilities it’s reporting leads you to the conclusion to start questioning the module integrity.

Its a diagnostic tool that 9 times out of 10 will get you to the root cause a heck of a lot quicker than trying to do diagnostics without it. Sure, you don’t have to use it, but it’s going to take you a heck of a lot longer to get to the bottom of the issue, regardless of recent anecdotal successes without it being used.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 10-17-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default After I had some problems and check with VCDS - Audi Engineers

Who wrote the diagnostics did not spend time to isolate the problem for the technicians to replace the correct one, which could be done but wasn't. They're lazy and it actually shot them in the foot, the engineer that I talked with claimed it's costing Audi so much money with warranty claims and 80% of the parts came back were GOOD. Why? Because when the diagnostics just printout the whole control system components at fault due to 1 or 2 failed part in the whole closed loop system, it's worthless. Everyone here loves to see the scan with pages of errors which may be a few in there the culprit. Don't say it's quicker, it's more confusing and people do replace good parts due to NOT understanding the problems and based purely on the printouts - PURE GUESS. Sometimes it's good NOT to see the printouts because if something failed, the old fashion way is to look at the components related to the failure.
Do you know what the worst Karma is? Cost someone time and money for advice that don't really bring good results - "You need the VCDS" - yes, I just want to see what's in the scan is without knowing the printouts will show anything significant, I can vow that because I do have VCDS and I couldn't use or proved that the printouts are worthless. Someone will have to pay for the wasted time and money - don't think it's just the OP - Karma is a circle - causes and effects.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-17-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Ok we get it....you don’t like VCDS and think old school diagnostics is better. Your choice. I still advocate using it as the very capable diagnostic tool it’s designed to be, alongside traditional diagnostics methods. It’s not designed to replace such techniques, just complement them by giving you an insight into what’s going on inside all those little black boxes that otherwise you have no way of knowing.

The mistake people make with VCDS is assuming that what it tells you is 100% correct. However this assumes that the module reporting the fault is functioning correctly and outputting correct diagnostic info. Diagnostic info that doesn’t make sense even after you’ve checked and eliminated the possibilities it’s reporting leads you to the conclusion to start questioning the module integrity.

Its a diagnostic tool that 9 times out of 10 will get you to the root cause a heck of a lot quicker than trying to do diagnostics without it. Sure, you don’t have to use it, but it’s going to take you a heck of a lot longer to get to the bottom of the issue, regardless of recent anecdotal successes without it being used.
Well said. Like other tools you need to know how and when to use it.

From other replies, and back to OP I would NOT assume the dealers necessarily know these cars any more either. This is now almost a two generation old model, both mechanically and electronically. Dealers and techs spend most of their time and earn most of their money on new and in warranty repairs. Frankly if they still know the car, it is often because the particular mechanic owns a used one. But from my experience there, it is often an A4 or S4, w upper end they are likely to own being about an also almost two generation old V10 S6. No news here either. I ran into the same issues with both my C1 and C3 where by 10 years later the factory both dissed them and dealers could not be bothered to touch them.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Who wrote the diagnostics did not spend time to isolate the problem for the technicians to replace the correct one, which could be done but wasn't. They're lazy and it actually shot them in the foot, the engineer that I talked with claimed it's costing Audi so much money with warranty claims and 80% of the parts came back were GOOD. Why? Because when the diagnostics just printout the whole control system components at fault due to 1 or 2 failed part in the whole closed loop system, it's worthless. Everyone here loves to see the scan with pages of errors which may be a few in there the culprit. Don't say it's quicker, it's more confusing and people do replace good parts due to NOT understanding the problems and based purely on the printouts - PURE GUESS. Sometimes it's good NOT to see the printouts because if something failed, the old fashion way is to look at the components related to the failure.
Do you know what the worst Karma is? Cost someone time and money for advice that don't really bring good results - "You need the VCDS" - yes, I just want to see what's in the scan is without knowing the printouts will show anything significant, I can vow that because I do have VCDS and I couldn't use or proved that the printouts are worthless. Someone will have to pay for the wasted time and money - don't think it's just the OP - Karma is a circle - causes and effects.

Cheers,
Louis
Not quite sure I understand what you’re trying to say, but I think underneath it all you’re essentially missing the point of VCDS. It’s not a replacement for traditional diagnostics, rather it complements it. For best results it should form part of your approach to the diagnostics process, not be the only tool to rely on for it. I think this is the mistake you (and others) are making and consequently have unrealistic expectations around what it’s able to tell you. And for a system that’s based on 15+yr old tech, it’s stood the test of time remarkably well.

Reason people on here ask for scan results is people are generally very bad at describing fault symptoms. What you or I might immediately be able to identify in person, conveying that much info in written form is not easy. A VCDS scan will hopefully at least get us armchair experts pointed in the right direction and able to ask more specific symptoms questions and hopefully get to bottom if it quicker. I’m not sure you could reasonably disagree with this and as a result I think a recalibration if your opinions on VCDS is perhaps due. You’ll find the adaptation options under module number 13.