A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

A8 mobile phone

 
Old 07-08-2019, 10:05 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 mobile phone

I think the signal strenght is a bit low. Where are the phone hardware mounted and the antenna?

thanks,
steve
Norwegianaudi is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I might explained this bad�� Anyone know where the cellular Arial is located on a D3 A8. Also where is the cellular phone hardware or is it a part of the B/T box under the floor driver side. Think i have a bad connection since signal dropps out quite often.

steve

Last edited by Norwegianaudi; 07-09-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Wrong text
Norwegianaudi is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:37 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
storka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Townsville
Posts: 754
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I always thought the aerial was in the shark fin might be wrong.
phone module is in the floor.
storka is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Norwegianaudi (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:11 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by storka View Post
I always thought the aerial was in the shark fin might be wrong.
phone module is in the floor.
Me to but there is a seperate aerial for the phone. I want to get to it and check for corrosion as the signal is not as good as it should be.
Norwegianaudi is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Brozee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,140
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Today's phones do not use the car's antenna. So the signal you're seeing on the MMI display is your actual phone's signal strength, not one through the car provided to your phone. You're at a dead end here. Older cars would be assisted or used the built in phone module - under the armrests, but your phone does not.
Brozee is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Norwegianaudi (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 03:29 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Brozee View Post
Today's phones do not use the car's antenna. So the signal you're seeing on the MMI display is your actual phone's signal strength, not one through the car provided to your phone. You're at a dead end here. Older cars would be assisted or used the built in phone module - under the armrests, but your phone does not.
I am old scool and use the phone under the arm rest😊 In the car i use the phone to receive calls hands free so i never bothered with modifying to be able to pair my iphone to the car. I have a twin simcard inserted in the cars slot with same phone number as my iphone.

steve
Norwegianaudi is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:19 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montgomery............ New Jersey
Posts: 1,072
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Norwegianaudi View Post
I am old scool and use the phone under the arm rest😊 In the car i use the phone to receive calls hands free so i never bothered with modifying to be able to pair my iphone to the car. I have a twin simcard inserted in the cars slot with same phone number as my iphone.

steve
Hello Steve,
I am not 100% on this as to the Audi setup, but IIRC I remember seeing this back when I had my 04 A8L headliner and trim down for re-gluing, these are some pictures of the item from my Bentley build, the antenna is located at the top of the rear windshield under the trim.


..


Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Norwegianaudi (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT View Post
Hello Steve,
I am not 100% on this as to the Audi setup, but IIRC I remember seeing this back when I had my 04 A8L headliner and trim down for re-gluing, these are some pictures of the item from my Bentley build, the antenna is located at the top of the rear windshield under the trim.


..

Audi use the shark fin for GPS and Radio reception. The telephone antenna is not the same as on your Bentley but most likely located as you describe. Audi dont know how to make things easy to get to
Norwegianaudi is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:27 PM
  #9  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montgomery............ New Jersey
Posts: 1,072
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Norwegianaudi View Post
Audi use the shark fin for GPS and Radio reception. The telephone antenna is not the same as on your Bentley but most likely located as you describe. Audi dont know how to make things easy to get to
I understood that the "GPS" was on the roof of our Audi's. was just trying to give location of the telephone antenna location, here is what the Audi A8 GSM/Phone antenna looks like, and it is inside at the top of the rear windshield.


/


Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Norwegianaudi (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM
  #10  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT View Post
I understood that the "GPS" was on the roof of our Audi's. was just trying to give location of the telephone antenna location, here is what the Audi A8 GSM/Phone antenna looks like, and it is inside at the top of the rear windshield.


/

Thanks. Thats a dry and safe place so i think i have to look at the other end (phone hardware) for the problem. Do you know if that is located under the driver side floor (LHD car) or one of the modules in the trunk?

steve
Norwegianaudi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8 mobile phone


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: