A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull trigger on 04 A8 any last minute advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The E65 absolutely blows compared to the A8 IMO. No contest. The E65 looks and drives like an upside down bathtub. It's the reason I looked at other car companies when I decided to sell my E38.

But I don't think the A8's seats are anything to write home about. To me, the shoulder support feels like a flat piece of plywood and the lumbar support feels like somebody stuck a milk jug behind my back. It's killing me.

One last question...the MPG on the A8 vs. the beamer is about the same or do you find it better or worse. Not a major consideration just curious to know.
I find it to be worse, but not that much worse. I see about 2-3 mpg less on the highway than I got in my E38, but roughly the same when driving in the city.

Listen: take some of my complaining about the A8 with a grain of salt, OK? I tend to be very skilled at airing my gripes about things, and I don't really devote much time to giving praise when something merits it. Let's just say that my ancestors have about 5,000 years of complaining experience, and that my people even managed to drive God himself crazy with our grumbling at one point in time .
Old 09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by featherpillow

Listen: take some of my complaining about the A8 with a grain of salt, OK? I tend to be very skilled at airing my gripes about things, and I don't really devote much time to giving praise when something merits it. Let's just say that my ancestors have about 5,000 years of complaining experience, and that my people even managed to drive God himself crazy with our grumbling at one point in time .
That has got to be the best thing I've read online in a long time

Seriously though, I am very satisfied with my A8. I have not had it that long, but I've had Audi's for a long time starting with a 5,000, than A100, then A6 Avant, then S6 and now the A8. Heck, I ever like my S6 so much that I can't sell it. Every reviewer that I've read praises the A8 for its excellent build quality and tastefully done interior using the highest quality materials. I agree. But, it is certainly a fact that everyone has a different tushy, and what is heaven for one, may be hell for another. It's that 'different strokes' thing. No real right or wrong here, but everyone is 'right' by their opinion.

Oh, and that excellent build quality thing doesn't mean that these chariots don't break.... They do, and if out of warranty, you'll be... well, how did they put it back then... something about "weeping and gnashing of teeth".
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Concurring with rdieter's advice, I would definitely have an Audi dealer look it over VERY carefully (talk to service advisor Greg Jackson at Audi of Tysons). I love my CPO '04 that was purchased with 49K miles about 3 years ago, but Audi has paid more than $5K in CPO repairs over the past three years; and I don't think that's unusual for an A8. No matter how clean the car may appear, it's almost certain that with 52K on the clock there are some costly problems lurking beneath that beautiful exterior and second to none interior.

Personally, I would not own an A8 out of warranty, and this is coming from a devoted Audi owner for more than 15 years.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice combo on color and options, the high-line adds a nice touch to an already good looking car.

I find the seats in my A8 quite comfortable and similar to my e38, which had comfort seats. I would same the BMW had a slight edge, but not by much. The flow of the A8 interior just wins me over every time.

I'll offer you the same perspective as did a fellow e38 owner said to me. "The A8 is a more natural extension of the e38 than BMW did with the e65". I agree, the A8 picks up where the e38 left off.

For fun, this was the best line I heard from an Audi dealer when I was looking at A8s. He asked what I was currently driving, my reply, "BMW 740iL, loved it but it was totaled, and I'm just not feeling the new 7-series". Audi dealer said, "That Chris Bangle did more for Audi than any executive at Audi has ever done".

For those that don't know, Chris Bangle is the chief designer at BMW that brought us the newer look of BMW and really disappointed the loyal BMW enthusiasts with the highly controversial 745 design...