A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC High pressure switch/valve/sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You're welcome.

Actually, if it just up and died, look for the debris right around front of compressor now as you pull things apart. Your description of it up and dying is basically like mine when fully failed. First it was slipping when the rubber internal guts were pretty obviously tearing them selves up internally. A/C was erratic and I figured maybe another charge needed, or compressor was dying. Then I found pulley issues and when I went to rev motor, that was all folks. Rubber went flying onto my garage floor, and no more A/C.

You can't get any diagnostics out of compressor because it is probably just sitting there, if that's the issue. Either it is frozen, or the rubber based protection component self destructed and now drive is freewheeling disconnected form compressor, just like if you dropped a drive shaft. Hopefully issue is not in that whole drive gear system by the way. I'm thinking thee was a post where someone lost P/S on an FSI 4.2 and it was maybe in that whole drive/gear system? Also on yours, if that rubber protective thing let go, be wary of why. I can explain mine in that pulley bearing failed and whole component fell apart but compressor was fine. On yours though, it may go back to frozen compressor since I don't see any component between the gear drive and the compressor to fail. On other hand if compressor locked up, it may have sacrificed that coupling to avoid drive gear take off unit from chewing it self up.

Electrical: i looked in Bentley and all data and couldn't find either. I have kind of all purpose HVAC system diagnostic and components SSP from circa 2002. SSP 981203. It looks like late era D2. My C5 was same generation, and for HVAC it all seems very similar to D3, other than exact component locations vary some as you would expect. Skimming it the SSP seems to basically take an all purpose approach to explaining HVAC and then the typical components. It has some electrical diagrams, but only for subsystems and not vehicle specific in general. Send me a message though AW w/ an email if you need/want more info on it.
MP,
I will send you a PM. Thanks for the offer. I believe I am at the point that removing and inspecting the compressor is the next logical move. In the interest of staying ahead of things, I went ahead and bought a used compressor from a wrecked R8 with 5k miles for 150.00 bucks. Seems like a good enough price to simply buy it and try it to see if this fixes it. I feel like I've reduced my mechanic skills to what my Audi dealer does......just start replacing parts till you find the one that's actually broken, then charge you for all the stuff in the middle also. And to think this is the same dealership that replaced my leather dash. Then again, that was Audi NA that actually took on the part cost.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would make sure that that compressor is actually bad before replacing it. Apply +12 volts to the AC clutch and see if the compressor clutch engages and it starts making cool air.. If it does, then the compressor is not bad.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I would make sure that that compressor is actually bad before replacing it. Apply +12 volts to the AC clutch and see if the compressor clutch engages and it starts making cool air.. If it does, then the compressor is not bad.
Audi compressors don't work with clutches--haven't back to my 2000 A6. It's a duty cycle concept. In some of my replies are discussions about the part that is now in the power input (pulley for port motors, gear driven shaft for FSI ones) to protect other components if the compressor freezes up, since there is no clutch to disengage on these.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not possible

Richard,
That's not actually possible and is part of my frustration. There doesn't seem to be any way to actually know if the compressor is bad unless you remove it and inspect it. For cars with all the diagnostics these have, it is very surprising and a shortcoming. Its been hooked up to the diagnostic tools at 2 INDY's and the Audi store in Plano and there's been no indication of a compressor failure, yet it WILL NOT turn on. I have zero faults across the entire HVAC spectrum yet no cold air. I am as frustrated as I have ever been with a car.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I assume you have checked the setup of the HVAC and that Econ mode is OFF.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Take it over to DFW Audi. Talk to the service writer and tell him/her that you want Danno to look at your car...no one else.

Danno will figure it out.

Dan is his real name. He picked up the nickname from the Hawaii 5-0 TV show. "Book him Danno" Everyone calls him "Danno".

Last edited by richard-tx; 04-03-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hunterp27
Has anyone ever had to replace their AC High pressure sensor that's located on the front of the condenser? My AC compressor isn't kicking on and the scan at my INDY showed a failure at this component. The mechanic stated that if the pressure isn't right, then nothing's right and the compressor will stay in safe mode. Any opinions?
I replaced the part this evening but didn't have time to get the system recharged before the shops closed. Normally you would not have to recharge the system due to replacing this part but I had to replace an auxiliary fan and that required the whole system to be evacuated first. Now I need to get that squared away and hopefully I will have a working AC system again.
I replaced high pressure switch but still shorting out, econ light stuck on, where do I look now?
Old 06-23-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If the switch is shorted (closed) all the time then the compresssor will not engage as the switch is saying that the system has excessively high pressure. While I have not changed it on a A8, on some/many/most cars the high pressure switch can be changed without evacuating the system.
Replaced the switch but econ light stays on no cold air, short somewhere?
Old 06-23-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I did have the same problem, can't turn off the ECON, replaced the high pressure sensor, evacuated and refilled and it worked
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/high-...s-hot-air.html
Cheers,
Louis
Old 06-24-2018, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gulfboy
Replaced the switch but econ light stays on no cold air, short somewhere?
what does the vagcom scan show? It should give you faults in the sensors or the pressures.