A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding TV Analog Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Adding TV Analog Tuner Questions

Hello all,
After RVC retrofit, waiting for the family shopping for hours, I wished I had TV in the car to watch the news or any channel OTA. So, I can buy a portable TV and leave it in the car or integrate a TV tuner to the MMI screen. Let's explore the MMI option.

1. Analog TV Tuner: does adding this require "component protection" removal?
2. Does this function work when the car in motion? and how much or what can remove the blockage if any?
3. This is for an 2006 A8L US car.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 08-02-2013, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There is no OTA TV any longer, its all digital so that option won't work. You could always get the TV tuner and use an aux device or dvd player to play on the MMI screen though. I've been wanting to do that for quite some time now. The video in motion is just a coding change. free.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Louis,

1) No

2) Yes, with trick 77. http://trick77.com/tools/mmi2g_vimcode.php

or http://trick77.com/2009/07/18/enable...s-vag-com-mmi/

3) yes and no, you can install the OEM TV tuner, and then add two sets of RCA A/V inputs into the RED 20 pin plug at the OEM TV Tuner, now you can input any A/V into the TV tuner, which in turn play on the MMI screen and have the sound output to the car audio system, now for the "NO", as "NTSC" analog is gone and all the Audi OEM TV tuners do not support USA "ATSC" standard, the OEM digital unit also does not work for us, it supports "DVB" and many other digital standards for the rest of the world, just not our's....

That's why I was asking you if you could add a ASTC chip or sorts to the OEM unit, as I have found some but I have no idea how it would be implemented into the software, or if the software was set for analog, but in fact it would be the digital chip in it's place... IDK

Johnny J J
Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned

Hello Brozee,

The ATSC "Digital" is "OTA" [over the air], just like on your home TV with a built in ATSC tuner you can use an old UHF/VHF rooftop antenna to receive digital signal, or buy a new digital antenna which one does not really need, if you home TV does not have a built in ATSC tuner then you use cable as many do, but to repeat there are many OTA digital stations.

To you and Louis, I have both OEM analog and digital TV tuners from Audi, I also installed all the OEM equipment such as both tuners, all wiring needed, OEM TV antenna, all because Audi said "yes it supports digital", but I do understand the mistake as I thought the same thing..... "DVB" Digital Video Broadcast"....

OH WELL.....

So now I have every piece of equipment I need to ship the car across the pond to watch some TV... HA HA

Unless some genius can add ATSC to the oem TV tuner...
Old 08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well if you have extra of what i need to enable me to watch the video on my MMI that would be great . My W12 already has the RSE system so I just need the TV tuner and the wiring harness to hook it up I think.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hello Johnny,
I think a simpler way than what you're thinking about, every tuner has its own frequencies and output display. It's a lot of work for a simple implementation.
Now, I can buy an Audi xxx xxx 146 Analog TV tuner for $120 shipped.

1. This TV tuner will have 1 set of AV and Audio input for me to put <a href="http://www.vcan.cc/atscmh2012-car-dtv-digital-tv-receiver-usa-mobile-handheld-tune-p-1181.html?zenid=ohff6mgpn1er21uieq8routcf1">this one through</a>. This is a MOBIL/HANDHELD ATSC with RF remote (RF means it will pick up anywhere - even the antenna is in the trunk which where I would put it). ATSC M/H means it will scan and capture the channel upto 60-100MPH dependent upon the design and quality of the circuit. Any other NON M/H ATSC tuner will only be stationary.
2. I've been talking to this seller and get this one shipped to me as a sample (since they're whole saler) for $45 + $35 (shipping).
3. Turn on MMI - select TV - input 1 (connected to this device) - with the channels scan using the remote? DO I GET The video of input 1 through TV tuner? The analog output will be 720x480. Let me know if it's feasible with the set up as described. I'll have less than $220. ATSC TV on the fly anywhere in the states under 100 MPH.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned

Louis,

Yes you are correct in your thinking, that setup will work for you provided you have the proper A/V input wiring, is he sending you the 20 pin red plug that the A/V gets inserted into ? I don't think so, So as it is not in the car from the factory, you will also need the most loop to input the OEM TV tuner into the MOST RING, SO you need this from Kufatec Product Nr.: 33942-1 http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/Aud...G2?action_ms=1,

and this Artikel Nr.: 33945 to input A/V into 20 pin red plug, get two if you want two inputs, as in AV1 and AV2

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/de/Audi/A...tecker-20polig

My problem is that my dumb *** spent 313,00 Euro or $416.00 just on the OEM antenna and antenna wiring harness, so I will search for a way to be all OEM.

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 08-04-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wiring diagram or pins out of the connectors please

Johnny,
Please take the picture of your Analog TV tuner set up. Can I see the wiring that you're talking about?
How many pins are actually used? I can solder them directly, just like the camera controller.

I heard I can use the Siri cables?

I just used the ventilated seat today, it's amazing... my butt was cold!!!

I'm almost there, I'll be styling with TV in the morning on the way to work - news and everything.

Does anyone have the pins assignment for this red connector you're talking about? PLEASE.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 08-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I only need the can bus wirings

Hello Johnny,
I only need the can bus wiring - 2 wires only.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Banned

Manual Video- In Adapter A6 4F, A8 4E, Q7 4L
Please disconnect the battery before starting installation.
The TV receiver has to be removed of the left hand side of the trunk (Q7 right hand side). Remove the 20-
pole red connector. Remove the red housing and put the single looms of the adapter into the black
connector as follows:
PIN-configuration:
[PIN 09 – Shield Audio left/right] [PIN 15 – Shield Audio left/right 2]
[PIN 10 – Audio signal white, left] [PIN 16 – Audio signal white, left 2]
[PIN 11 – Audio signal red, right] [PIN 17 – Audio signal red, right 2]
[PIN 12 – Video signal gelb] [PIN 18 – Video signal 2]
[PIN 13 - Video/ Shield ] [PIN 19 – Video/ Shield]
Video output (only for Hybrid-Tuner):
PIN 4 – Video Shield
PIN 5 – Video signal
PIN 6 – Audio Shield
PIN 7 – Audio left