A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any recent experience re garage floor coatings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any recent experience re garage floor coatings?

I'm planning to change the surface of my garage floor ... either tiles or a professionally applied floor coating. Does anyone have any helpful thoughts. Many thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A good floor coating is epoxy resin, I make them in Australia under the Megapoxy trademark, any colour etc. Not sure where you are in the world.
Epoxy resin gives a good economical coating that can be applied to any prepared concrete surface. Good luck
Old 07-16-2009, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 100% Epoxy Resin

About two years ago I added to my garage and ended up coating the entire floor (new and old floors) with a 100% epoxy floor coating. The epoxy is produced by a local company called Epoxy Coat <http://epoxy-coat.com/>, which does a lot of commercial work but also sells floor kits direct to customers. I was originally planning to do the install myself, but it didn't cost much more to have them send out a crew to do the work.

This product is much better than the water-based epoxy products sold at the big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). It provides protection to the original concrete from chipping (if something like a tool is dropped), and allows for easy clean up of spilled liquids (oil, mysterious fluids from under the car, that ugly dirt-salt mix that drips off the car in the winter, etc.).

I have only one complaint about the epoxy floor - it yellows with exposure to the sun. This is especially true for the portion of the floor outside of the garage door. I had a second coat of clear epoxy put on top to make the floor more shiny (that wet look of a new floor), and it has yellowed badly. Instead of this extra epoxy coat, I should have put down a two-part, high-solids, polyurethane with UV protectant (available at a Sherwin Williams commercial store).

Overall, I've been very happy with the epoxy garage floor, and I still receive comments on how nice it looks.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tackled this issue a year ago. For me, tiles from RaceDeck were the way to go. I like their durability, color assortment, and the fact that you can take them with you when you move. And RaceDeck's customer service is without equal.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the floor coated over a year ago as part of a garage project handled by GarageTek.
They did a fabulous job. The base coat is a 2 part system that can be colored and have chips in it. On ours they did a contrasting border for a mostly additional fee. A clear coat goes over the whole system. One area failed after a week and they repaired the system under warranty - the repair is invisible - and the system has been flawless since.
We discussed plastic tiles, about the same cost or a bit more but we cannot drive straight in and out of the garage without turning. GarageTek strongly advised against a tile application in these circumstance as they claim the friction rips the tiles from the floor. They would install them but offered no warranty on the success given their experience.
We also installed a walling system plus all the extras. Fantastic job.
Find them at www.garagetak.com
Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Many thanks for your comments ... and did you happen to talk to PremierGarage. They use a hybrid polymer
and claim it to be superior. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sorry. Only to GarageTek on a recommendation from another person who had installed.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did mine myself, took some time, but it looks great. I live in Wisconsin and the winters are harsh... the floor takes a beating, but doesn't chip or flake up. I will probably touch it up next spring to keep the sharp look.

If your interested, I can get you exact details on how I did it...
Attached Images