A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APR - ECU software upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Really

Originally Posted by dcc1433
Hi relatively new s8 d3 owner, had carbon clean when I bought my 2007 with 44k on it and it was about $800 hand scraped from J Ellis Audi here in Atlanta area. Noticeable improvement.

Also re APR ECU-upgrade, I stopped at their corp HQ in auburn Alabama on a trip to see my son who is in school there, ( actually to get my s8 back from him lol) and the upgrade was $799 with No guarantee that it would not throw any CEL codes. They typically offer $100 off several times a year on the $799 price. Not sure where $1200 above came from.

Hope that helps
interesting, I'm curious how it was determined that you need a carbon cleaning, have you driven another S8 and compare it with yours or was the dealer advice. Any photos prior and after ? The reason I'm asking is because, frankly, you're only the second case, at least on this forum.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was quoted $650 CAD for the carbon cleaning at VAG Motorsports near Montreal. I drop the car off before work and pick it up after. They use the BMW method of Walnut Blasting which is quicker and cheaper than the manual approach which my Audi dealer uses and charges $2000 for!

Walnut Blasting
REVIEW: Cleaning of intake valves with BMW walnut shell blasting tool

VAG Motorsport
VAG Motorsport - Pièces Audi BMW Porsche Volkswagen Tuning et préparation pour la course Lamborghini & Bentley
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Still

Originally Posted by Bart247
I was quoted $650 CAD for the carbon cleaning at VAG Motorsports near Montreal. I drop the car off before work and pick it up after. They use the BMW method of Walnut Blasting which is quicker and cheaper than the manual approach which my Audi dealer uses and charges $2000 for!

Walnut Blasting
REVIEW: Cleaning of intake valves with BMW walnut shell blasting tool

VAG Motorsport
VAG Motorsport - Pièces Audi BMW Porsche Volkswagen Tuning et préparation pour la course Lamborghini & Bentley
don't understand how it was determined that you were in need of the carbon cleaning procedure
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Naturally aspirated they are a total waste of money. They are only worth it if you have a turbo.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Believe it it's True

Originally Posted by tx170754
interesting, I'm curious how it was determined that you need a carbon cleaning, have you driven another S8 and compare it with yours or was the dealer advice. Any photos prior and after ? The reason I'm asking is because, frankly, you're only the second case, at least on this forum.
Sad but true…….and believe me, after spending $3700 to get the car up and running correctly, $800 of which was hand cleaning the carbon build up, I wish it were not so!

When I received the car, CEL came on in about a week, wouldn't pass emissions test to license it for the road, backfired, ran rough. Took it first to my independent guys who could not get all the issues ironed out so I took it to my Audi dealer here in Atlanta area, car had a number of issues so I had them go through the vehicle and get it in the kind of shape all my cars are (meaning everything in top working condition, nothing broken, top performance). Took perhaps 2-3 weeks. Never would have bought the car had the seller been honest with all the issues I found (Metrolina Auto Group Concord, N.C-NEVER buy a vehicle from those guys). All seals and gaskets had to be redone, ignition coils replaced, tune up, broken arm rest, trunk motor not working, broken armrest handle, etc. etc. Dealer called me over and showed me the carbon build up. Have all the pics but don't know how to post them here yet.

My wife's 2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS with the 4.7 FSI engine has the same issue but it has not reared it's ugly head yet with 65,000 miles on it. Have pics of that too.

So believe it, it is true.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default APR Visit to HQ's Auburn Alabama

Originally Posted by Bart247
What do you guys think of a Software upgrade for the S8?

APR gives you 471hp and 427ft/lbs but also gains of up to 26hp in some area of the rpm range. It costs $925

APR Audi S8 5.2L V10 FSI - APR ECU Upgrade

Is it worth it?
Is the increase felt?
At what cost... engine lifespan?
APR will not guarantee no trigger of fault codes FYI…….I stopped by to talk with them while I was in Auburn (son goes to school there). So I have decided not to do the up-grade for that reason alone.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

The reprogram is worth something if the silly 155 mph speed limiter is deleted.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
The reprogram is worth something if the silly 155 mph speed limiter is deleted.
My understanding is that it is removed. How fast do we need to go now?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
My understanding is that it is removed. How fast do we need to go now?
Faster than a Challenger, Mustang GT, Chrysler 300 C or S, All BMW's etc.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Carbon Cleaning

Here is a before and After pic of the Carbon Cleaning I had done.

I can’t believe how smoothly the car runs now! It’s a big difference. I didn't have a reference point and thought the car felt good before, but I really notice the difference. The car moves from stop much more smoothly now, before I was getting a huge jump forward I guess from enough air eventually flowing in, but now it flows without restraint and the car accelerates much more linearly.

I'm very happy I had this done.
Every 30,000K-50,000K from now on depending on how the car feels.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: APR - ECU software upgrade