A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8L Front-end suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8L Front-end suspension problem

Has anyone experienced this problem? I have a 2004 A8L with approx. 25,000 miles. With the onset of colder weather here (San Antonio), there is now a very discernible noise (like rusty springs) coming from the front-end of the vehicle whenever I go over speed bumps (...or any sort of minor bump...). Once the car 'warms-up', the sound appears to go away, but it returns on the very next cold morning. My Audi dealership replaced the 'bushings' on the vehicle last week and everything seemed fine...but it was an unseasonably warm week. The cold front two days ago brought the sound back...once again, a cross between rusty springs and the crunch of broken metal. Any advice will be appreciated
Old 01-22-2006, 07:03 PM
ZRH
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Audi A8L Front-end suspension Charisma

I have a similar experience with my 04 A8L even on a warm AZ morning...my driveway is steep. I think (hope) the noise is inconsequential. Another bit of charismatic audio is 12-14 deep toned ticks (much like a grandfather clock) emanating from the center of the dash as I drive out after a startup. Service manager says the AC is "setting itself". Also appears to be of no consequence. Anybody heard similar??

ZRH7178
Old 01-22-2006, 07:08 PM

Yes..the deep toned ticks appear to come from the center of the dash...same experience. But the front-end sound (in my case) is not inconsequential. A car this expensive should not sound this way when going down a driveway or over a speed bump.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Park car outside at service dept over night ( do it yourself, if they won't )...

show up at service dept. the next morning and tell them you want a tech. to take a drive with you while it's cold. Hopefully you can find a place close by to duplicate your drive way, etc.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:04 AM
ZRH
AudiWorld Member

I re-read your post and understand your concern better. FWIW mine "grunts" only once coming down the drive and that is it for the session...
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine used to do the same thing

Seems to be fairly common. I would get the same sound when slowly going over a small speed bump that was located just before my apartment garage.In my case this only occured when my car was warm. I eliminated the noise by buying a place without any speed bumps around.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-lubing the bushings has helped a number of us with a front-end noise

but re-reading your post has me questioning whether or not this is the same noise! The difficulty with the A8 is that when the car is lifted on the rack in the service area, the wheels move WITH the car for obvious reasons and thats the problem. You need to find a rack that lifts the car from the center and the wheels drop such that the mechanics can move the wheel assy. up and down.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe a bad sway bar! It could really be anything.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Re-lubing the bushings has helped a number of us with a front-end noise

Thanks for the comments. It appears that my local Audi dealership also reads this Forum because the Service Dept. called me this morning and asked about my continuing problems. We plan on leaving the car overnight at the dealership and then taking an early morning drive...over a few speedbumps.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I guess they read my post afterall..just below....VVVVVV

Quick Reply: Audi A8L Front-end suspension problem