A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Amp Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Bose Amp Issues

After getting my car back from the dealer from it's issue with water in the passenger floor board, it quickly became apparent that the intermittent loss of all MMI function was not fixed. After another week back in the shop, they said the issue was the Bose amp was faulty, but I can't find anyone else having issues with that amp that were the kind of all or nothing intermittent I have. The radio works great when it works, which is more often than not. When it does cut out, it does it while driving and stays off for a while, and after a bit, restarting the car also sees the MMI come back. The dealer says it's unrelated to the water intrusion, but even though I can't see how, the timing seems insane that the first time I had this issue was the same day I had water get in the front passenger side. Anyway, so insurance won't cover the amp. Anyone have any thoughts? I want to get this car sold, but I don't want to sell it with a problem!
Old 04-26-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

eBay used one ?
Old 04-26-2019, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand, the whole MMI system works together with fiber optic cables as well as CAN. Check the amps fiber optic connector and CAN connector? Not sure if it will help. How did you get water into the floor board? I had some water in mine due to the sunroof leaking so I cleaned the drainage holes with scrap hood/bonnet cables.

Also Jack88 sorry for delayed reply, with my wiper issue, I still didn't get it sorted. Wires are fine and connectors are fine. Haven't gotten another wiper stalk to see if that's the issue. Also the voice command button on the steering doesnt work, do you perhaps think it's the steering electronics thats the problem? Other steering buttons work and indicator stalk all works except wiper stalk and voice command. Any advice?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an extra bose amp if you need it
Old 04-28-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by the green amigo
I have an extra bose amp if you need it
I will likely need one! The dealership said they isolated the amp with a loop and when that was installed, the system came to life minus the radio and with the amp reconnected, it failed again. I can't find any way around the CP from research for the amp, so I'll have to see the dealer again for getting that removed.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

There's a guy in Jersey who is successfully repairing these BOSE amps.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
There's a guy in Jersey who is successfully repairing these BOSE amps.
I found them, they want $300 for the repair. I'll have to check to see what the dealer want's to remove CP on a used unit and also if I can spot any obvious issue with the amp I have when I get the car back.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That sounds right. Yes, for whatever reason, I had to have Component Protection removed when my amp came back.

(The dealer quoted me $4000 for my repair with no assurance it would be successful. I ended up at $700 and everything back to normal.)
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
That sounds right. Yes, for whatever reason, I had to have Component Protection removed when my amp came back.

(The dealer quoted me $4000 for my repair with no assurance it would be successful. I ended up at $700 and everything back to normal.)
Good to know. I'll get it sorted out, this is the only thing on the car that needs attention, otherwise it's good to go. It's an annoying surprise considering I found out the day after I listed it for sale but that's how it goes! I can't in good conscience sell it with a known issue, even though it is unlikely to present itself on a test drive given the intermittent nature of the problem.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree - - prudent to have it all sorted!

Quick Reply: Bose Amp Issues