A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake System Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by 97urS6
Sounds like a great plan... so I took the car out for a quick ride around town and back. Then tried to re-code the ABS Module, and it looked somewhat promising, as I didn't get the error on the SAS, but when I went back in to check the coding value and the fault codes ... the nasty "0003 - Deflective module" came back. I'm thinking there is some other problem that is taking out ABS Modules? Frustrating!
My experience is when you get the module code, it is bad. Thus likely not repaired correctly, at least on its face. If it happens to apply, I also NEVER run the VCDS self test on the ABS module if I don't have an error code...at least not if the car is out of warranty. BTDT...in warranty.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update... although I normally don't like to go to the dealer, but after a detailed discussion with their head forman (30 years experience)... he assured me that they should be able to resolve the coding issue.

I provided them with a detailed dissertation on exactly what has gone on with the car and what VCDS has been at each step of the way... they took the car in (on time btw) and within one hour had the problem diagnosed and resolved! So I have a "temporarily" new found level of appreciation for what a good experienced tech can actually do at the dealer!

The very last item was to resolve the electronic parking brake issue... I provided them with a used caliper (purchased off ebay... with a 30 day warranty). The good news is that when they plugged in the new caliper, the EPB codes cleared up. The bad news is that the piston was seized and they couldn't leave it installed... put the old one back. So now, everything is working, ABS, ESP, etc... just the Parking Brake light is on... not a big deal.

Fortunately, the ebay supplier gave me a refund, no problems. I am taking it to a rebuilder and they are going to put a new seal kit in and see if they can free up the piston.

Will post up the latest news once that chapter of this episode is complete!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

EBP error will be because of a defective motor on the caliper. It's an easy diy changeout. Just take the motor off the eBay caliper and put it on your existing one.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
EBP error will be because of a defective motor on the caliper. It's an easy diy changeout. Just take the motor off the eBay caliper and put it on your existing one.
That was our backup plan if the piston didn't free up... my local rebuilder said that seal kits are a bit hard to find for those calipers, but he thought they rubber bits were in very good condition, so with a good cleanup and a solid soaking of penetrating lubricant... a piston pusher was able to free it up... he says it is moving nicely now! So a quick swap of the calipers is next on my plate. This time we will put it in service mode first, before removing it.