A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car is shaking when braking

So my car has been shaking whenever I brake from about 45 mph and up. From 45 mph and down, it doesn’t shake as much, but still slightly shakes.

Decided to to try some troubleshooting

1. I cleaned the wheel hub with a wire brush and brake cleaner. It was heavily covered by rust and bumps. Cleaned it until smooth and raw metal

2. I cleaned the rotor where it contacts the wheel hub (also covered in rust) and the surface of it with brake cleaner.

3. Cleaned the calipers where brake pads contact the caliper with a wire brush until raw metal is showing.

4. Cleaned the ends of the brake pads, and brushed off brake dust.

Last but not least,

5. Cleaned and greased guide pins

Outcome:

Didnt do a damn thing. Car still shakes at the same speeds. Kind of narrowing down to a warped rotor.

Could getting my rotor resurfaced help maybe?
What else could I check that could be causing this?

It doesn’t shake when driving normally, so wheels are pretty balanced.

Also when coming up to a stop sign, going pretty slow, the car feels like it is pulsating forward and backward as if it is catching on something

Last edited by jmayfield23; 03-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Search on prior threads. Google is your friend.

As a clue--besides the usual rotors early guess--think upper control arms and how they are easily the number one or two D3 suspension issue (along with air struts). A search--and finding my prior posts--should help connect the two. Have you checked them at all? When not if... Certainly by 100K miles w/ out any prior work, or also prior work involving a variety of junk parts out there, and you've got the ingredients.

Report back w/ some reading in hand, plus mileage, year and general geographic location.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Search on prior threads. Google is your friend.

As a clue--besides the usual rotors early guess--think upper control arms and how they are easily the number one or two D3 suspension issue (along with air struts). A search--and finding my prior posts--should help connect the two. Have you checked them at all? When not if... Certainly by 100K miles w/ out any prior work, or also prior work involving a variety of junk parts out there, and you've got the ingredients.

Report back w/ some reading in hand, plus mileage, year and general geographic location.

I’ll have to take a look in the morning. Also there is like this squeaking noise that comes out of my front end when I go over big bumps. Always thought it was my sway bar links, but after looking at them today, they almost look brand new.

My car is a 05 with 170,XXX miles, and I’m located around 100 miles east of Indianapolis
Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by jmayfield23
I’ll have to take a look in the morning. Also there is like this squeaking noise that comes out of my front end when I go over big bumps. Always thought it was my sway bar links, but after looking at them today, they almost look brand new.

My car is a 05 with 170,XXX miles, and I’m located around 100 miles east of Indianapolis
Squeaking noise fits too--if not sway bar links or bar main bushings. At 170K, your upper control arms are past shot if never replaced. If replaced once or even twice by non OE, shot too. Even if replaced by OE (Lemforder) once before, likely still shot.. As in, car should be on about its third round of OE control arm (bushings) by about now The inner bushings at bolt up points are where they usually fail. Most non OE arms or bushings are cheap not just on price but on poor quality/longevity, and the OE ones are already overworked in the set up.

Know that in Midwest your pinch bolt that holds these in will likely be the (really...) hard part of job if my guess proves out. Literally start spraying it with penetrant tomorrow and at various times thereafter if you get parts in a week or so. Absolutely replace that pinch bolt. Search on prior posts for how to's, tips, nightmare scenarios if you start prying on the steering knuckle or start hitting it with hammer, etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-27-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

How will I know if it’s bad? And also is it a part I should be able to just pull off and put back on without lifting the knuckle to line it up?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also do I need to replace the whole bar or just the bushings?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Upper control arm bushings need replacement. Common wear item, and shaking under braking is a common symptom when they get really bad. The bushings can be replaced within the existing arms.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, I think I got OEM brand ones from FCP Euro or some such place and replaced all of my uppers. Also a few of the lowers. Cost me $180 or so to pay someone else to press them in, and that was probably on the high side from what most people should see.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you measure the rotor runout before and after you cleaned the hubs? If it's not less than 0.002", you'll still have shaking. I had something very similar, I put on new front rotors last year but didn't clean the hubs, and ended up having about 0.030" runout. A few months ago I spent an hour or so each side cleaning everything up and got the runout down to 0.002" or less, it has resolved 95% of the problem.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is a video of after that compares the before.

Quick Reply: Car is shaking when braking