A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caution: Wrecked S8 returns to eBay!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caution: Wrecked S8 returns to eBay!!

You may recall that I bought an '07 Daytona Gray/Black S8 on eBay back in November. When the car arrived, I did a long writeup on it espousing its virtues. It truly is a great car (the S8 in general). However, the first time I washed the car I noticed that the rear trunk/taillight did not fit properly. I also noticed that the paint on the rear quarter panel was different than the rest of the car...slightly off.

I called the dealer and he tried to deny it. He used the "I checked it over with a paint meter" excuse to claim it had never been wrecked, painted, etc. I took the car to my Audi dealership and it took the tech about 4 seconds to say, "It's been in an accident. We'll have to remove the rear bumper to see how bad the damage was and if it was fixed correctly." Of course, since the fit of the trunk & taillight were off...well, obviously it was not fixed correctly.

Now, that was highly irritating since the eBay listing specifically said, "NO PREVIOUS COLLISION DAMAGE." After much discussion with the dealer, he agreed to take the car back. He paid for shipping both ways ($2000) and gave me a 100% refund. Remarkable. That was pretty impressive.

What is not so impressive is that the same car is back on eBay, and apparently is drawing plenty of interest. But the worst part is that he is back to claiming, "NO PREVIOUS COLLISION DAMAGE." In the photos, if you look very, very carefully you can see that the right-side trunk/taillight is misaligned. Seems he didn't bother to even fix it? He says he did.

Anyway...I wanted to pass along the caution to everyone on here. I learned two great lessons: 1) NEVER buy a car on eBay without seeing it first and having it carefully examined, and 2) the S8 is the most spectacular car on the planet and I definitely am willing to pay an extra $10k to get a good CPO one to ensure it is perfect.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not only tell us about it also alert ebay about it and they can possibly permanently red flag the vehicle.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE flag this on ebay

Is this the one at the dealer in Hillside NJ? If so, please do flag it. I was looking at that car yesterday online... and it is clearly misrepresented if in fact it has been wrecked / is the same vehicle.