A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default CL63 or...

Originally Posted by pmdeaver
You're absolutely right about the Benz forums. Even on MBWorld, I haven't received as good a feedback as do here. This is almost a brotherhood of fellow A8 owners who earnestly want to help one another. Can't tell you how much that means to me. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm close to getting a 2008 CL63 AMG.
Cl600. I also wanted a CL63 but after some advice ( from the Mercedes dealer too) and a CL 600 test drive I decided to buy the CL600, give a try, it is a fantastic car and you will not regret it. Good luck !
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Cut from elsawin:

For cleaning it is advisable to make use of an improvised tool approx. 2300 mm long made from speedometer drive cable core.

1 - Water drain hose (front)
q Front water drain hoses -1- run through and end at outer -A- pillar.
q To clean, access hose from sunroof opening.

2 - Water drain hose (rear)
q Rear water drain hoses -2- run through -C- pillars and end in rear wheel housings.
q Cleaning is performed starting from lower end of hose.
q This involves removing rear wheel housing liner.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Wow, I still don't know how water can get into the car that much...

Then rain must lasted for hours and pouring. Still, can't imaging how it can come through the sunroof since it's practically sealed and the roof is curved.
Good luck with the MBZ, they may have the sunroof sealed better than the A8, but if you park the car outside in the heavy rain, never clean the drains, I don't think any car will survive the abuse.
Although I've never cleaned the drains, it doesn't rain so hard here in CA. I don't park under trees and I don't park outside with sunroof opened.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 03-04-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Then rain must lasted for hours and pouring. Still, can't imaging how it can come through the sunroof since it's practically sealed and the roof is curved.
Good luck with the MBZ, they may have the sunroof sealed better than the A8, but if you park the car outside in the heavy rain, never clean the drains, I don't think any car will survive the abuse.
Although I've never cleaned the drains, it doesn't rain so hard here in CA. I don't park under trees and I don't park outside with sunroof opened.
The rain DID last for hours, and it was a deluge. If you'll note the upper console where the sunroof control is, there are small vents on either side, which ironically, are positioned directly ABOVE the main console. I witnessed the water coming in through those drains in a steady stream.

No, I don't park under trees or leave my sunroof slightly opened. Your sunroof may appear to be perfectly sealed, but it's not. In fact, there was a class action lawsuit against VW for faulty sunroof drains. Additionally, my bank told me of another car being flooded the same way, from the same storm.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The seal didn't do the job then...

I looked at my moonroof today, the rubber seal does come up to the top, but still not flush with the roof... hmmm. Scary.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ugh.

Mine were plugged too.

MMI is bad (nothing works), and I do hope that is all. The car drove fine otherwise. Everything else seems to work fine. I put in an old MMI (car button did not work) and it works as before. Now its time to clear these bitches.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check your MMI and can bus

Originally Posted by Dan McBoost
Mine were plugged too.

MMI is bad (nothing works), and I do hope that is all. The car drove fine otherwise. Everything else seems to work fine. I put in an old MMI (car button did not work) and it works as before. Now its time to clear these bitches.
I replied to one of your post here
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24694503

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-10-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cleaned the front sunroof drains last night and made sure they were flowing water again. I can not do the rear as I could not put the car in jack mode (and did not want to disconnect the battery... then reset everything)

Since the MMI control got soaked, I removed it and put it in a huge plastic bag with rice encompassing the unit (48 hours worth). Plugged it back in this morning and all is back to normal, woot!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it sorted Dan...I guess I should clean mine out too, even though she lives in a garage most of the time.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan McBoost
Cleaned the front sunroof drains last night and made sure they were flowing water again. I can not do the rear as I could not put the car in jack mode (and did not want to disconnect the battery... then reset everything)

Since the MMI control got soaked, I removed it and put it in a huge plastic bag with rice encompassing the unit (48 hours worth). Plugged it back in this morning and all is back to normal, woot!
So glad you got yours straightened out Dan! Haven't been on here in a while, but wanted to check in. I'm driving a 2010 BMW 750LI with Dinan Stage 5 chipset. The car has many wonderful options, but I truly miss my A8!!!!

There was just something about the ride and drive of that car. The ergonomics of the controls were perfect. I still find myself reaching for the audio **** in the center console, and the cruise control on the left stalk of the steering wheel.

So I'm riding down the road back in August and I get a phone call from a West Virginia number. The individual introduces himself and explains that he's now the owner of my car and driving around like nothing ever happened to it! He bought it for $9000 from a salvage dealer who bought it at auction. Said everything was working perfectly. Found my office number in the car's phonebook, which still had all my stored numbers!

I miss that car. I may go back to another A8 or A8L before long. Just can't get over it. Hope everyone is well.

Quick Reply: Clogged sunroof drains totaled my car!