A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking in comfort mode but not in dynamic mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking in comfort mode but not in dynamic mode?

So im test driving this 07 a8 and I feel clunking on patholes and bumps while in comfort mode but not in dynamic mode. What does it mean? Strut inside of the air shock is bad so it needs new air shock? Suapension seems to go up and down no problem. Milage 90k. Or maybe a control arm? Bolt joint? Thanks
Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by doktorekny
So im test driving this 07 a8 and I feel clunking on patholes and bumps while in comfort mode but not in dynamic mode. What does it mean? Strut inside of the air shock is bad so it needs new air shock? Suapension seems to go up and down no problem. Milage 90k. Or maybe a control arm? Bolt joint? Thanks
Standard automotive troubleshooting techniques are required to properly answer your question.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I figure after so many issues with these things, someone may have idea without troubleshooting or from past experience. Yes, I know - I can take it to the mechanic but I haven't bought the car yet.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

It will be one or more of the many bushes on the front suspension, in Dynamic the car sits lower, so the bushes are stressed differently which removes some of the symptoms (for a little while at least).
Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doktorekny
Personally I would walk away. I've been dealing with this same issue for almost 9 months now on my 07 (120 k miles) on the drivers side. It can be a wild goose chase and money pit with these cars. After replacing 3 sets of struts, 2 sets of sway links, upper and lower control arms, sway bar, wheel bearing, no luck even after a highly qualified german shop AND two Audi dealers have spent countless hours and weeks unbolting everything on the front suspension.

Poor engineering and the reason I'll never own another Audi.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you buy brand new struts from Audi? If not, then the issue is the crappy rebuilds.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie111
Poor engineering and the reason I'll never own another Audi.
Yeah, blame the engineers. I'd put money on the fact that they are probably looking in the wrong place. Heck, a clunk in my brother's D3 had all sorts of expensive diagnosis' but turned out to be a loose belly pan. I had a noise I swore was in the front, but turned out to be a rear brake pad clip rubbing on the rotor. The point is that your issue is with the diagnosis, not the design.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
The point is that your issue is with the diagnosis, not the design.
+1

Something simple like wheel balance can be a real fooler. WHen I first got my car I had a vibration at speed. I would have sworn that one or more of the front wheels were out of balance. It was a rear wheel that was out. The frame is so rigid that vibrations travel the entire length of the car and that really can mess with your perception of the where the problem is.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Did you buy brand new struts from Audi? If not, then the issue is the crappy rebuilds.
No I did not. I think it is insane for Audi to charge $1500 not including labor for 1 new air strut, a wear and tear item. These cars are only worth $7,000 trade in. I'm not going to spend a third of the value of the car on one air strut which:

1. Is non returnable if it doesn't fix my issue according to Audi dealers

2. Probably won't fix my issue since before putting on the "crappy rebuilds", we put on two different sets of brand new Arnotts and same issue.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Yeah, blame the engineers. I'd put money on the fact that they are probably looking in the wrong place. Heck, a clunk in my brother's D3 had all sorts of expensive diagnosis' but turned out to be a loose belly pan. I had a noise I swore was in the front, but turned out to be a rear brake pad clip rubbing on the rotor. The point is that your issue is with the diagnosis, not the design.
The blame is on the engineers if they manufacture a vehicle too complex when two of their own dealers with most experienced techs have no clue on how to fix the vehicle when something is wrong on the suspension. These cars are good under warranty, that way the dealer can throw parts as they may until they find out what's wrong and charge to corporate. Out of warranty it's all on your dime. Audi dealers have no incentive or desire to diagnose or fix vehicles out of warranty. Dealers can spend weeks trying to "diagnose" but it can end up as a wild goose chase and a guessing game as they lose money that they know will far exceed the $190 diagnostic fee. Too many moving fragile parts that visually look good but still may be compromised. When chassis ears don't even help, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I'd bet money the engineers would even be stumped if they had to troubleshoot some clunks and noises.

Quick Reply: Clunking in comfort mode but not in dynamic mode?