A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsing REAR suspension on W12, help welcomed..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsing REAR suspension on W12, help welcomed..

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me diagnose/solve a problem I have with the REAR suspension intermittently collapsing on my 2005 W12.

It only collapses when I change suspension height settings whilst either driving, or standing, for example changing from Auto/Comfort to Dynamic, or the other way. When this happens, I pull over, switch off the car, re-start and the rear suspension pumps back up straight away and I finish my journey (staying in the same mode to prevent reoccurrence). Not wanting to risk permanent collapse, I have now stopped driving it.

It does not sag or collapse when parked. I have parked the car in various modes, including (high) 'Lift' mode with Jacking mode 'ON' for over a week, to test if the air bags have a leak, but there is no drop from any corner.

The compressor sounds fine and is not continuously pumping - so doesn't appear to be the problem(?)

The compressor does appear to 'click-in' a little more than it used to when I first bought the car 8 years ago (at 75K). It has now done 154K miles, without any issues from the air-suspension, until now.

Surprisingly, there are no suspension Fault Codes from my VCDS. I also have the Bentley manual, but could do with advice before diving in and replacing (some possibly very expensive, unnecessary) parts randomly.

Following reading many posts on this subject (virtually all relate to the Front, rather than Rear), my suspected culprits (in order of likeliness), I believe are;
  1. A rubber 'o'ring seal somewhere (but where);
    1. Susp unit Inlet valve?
    2. Valve Control unit/block?
    3. Residual air valve atop one of the rear suspension units?
    4. One of the air-lines (but surely this would leak constantly whilst driving)?
  2. Valve not closing correctly inside the Valve Control block?
  3. A rear height sensor?
So, I would be very grateful if anyone could advise (ideally from experiencing/solving a similar/identical issue) which elements of the system are the most likely cause?
Many thanks
Malc :-)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

(Just) guesses from the description would be the valve air block and maybe the pump relay sticking or a rear height sensor not responding properly. Valve block is where I would be going first. Your write up suggests no obvious leaks and thus not the shock assemblies. As you mention, perhaps a rear height sensor, though I would expect those to show up as a code and either side not to affect the entire rear along the lines you seem to describe. I never saw behavior like this on my W12, so just conjecture on more likely areas to investigate.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the speedy response and tips MP. I'm hoping the snow here will clear soon, so I can investigate.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

My money is on an electronic problem. The fact that there are no error codes, despite there quite obviously being a malfunction, and a restart resolves it leads me to that conclusion. Either bad level sensors or a faulty suspension ECU.

As you have VCDS, put it to work and run an output test on the level control module. Pay particular attention to what the the readings the rear level sensors are spitting out. Are they inline with what the front ones are doing?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
My money is on an electronic problem. The fact that there are no error codes, despite there quite obviously being a malfunction, and a restart resolves it leads me to that conclusion. Either bad level sensors or a faulty suspension ECU.

As you have VCDS, put it to work and run an output test on the level control module. Pay particular attention to what the the readings the rear level sensors are spitting out. Are they inline with what the front ones are doing?
Thanks Dave, sounds logical, as does MP’s suggestion of a poss dodgy Relay. I’ve not used VCDS for an output test, but will try to find my way and report back when complete.
Cheers
Malc
Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a drop in the front on friday when we had the snow here and it was mega cold. Turned the car off and restarted and it levelled out again. Since the snow has gone I have no problem. YET!
Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
I had a drop in the front on friday when we had the snow here and it was mega cold. Turned the car off and restarted and it levelled out again. Since the snow has gone I have no problem. YET!
That’s odd as most people on this board are US based where many owners (such as myself) live in way colder, way snowier climates than you will ever see in any part of the U.K. and cold temp suspension collapses aren’t a particularly known issue.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have no idea why it happened because we had snow before that was worse and it did not happen so i am just keeping my fingers crossed because I really enjoy this car and hate spending time ironing out these electrical and suspension niggles. I wouldn't mind if I had a nice double garage and a spare car to run around in but I don't. I'm afraid
Old 03-08-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
I have no idea why it happened because we had snow before that was worse and it did not happen so i am just keeping my fingers crossed because I really enjoy this car and hate spending time ironing out these electrical and suspension niggles. I wouldn't mind if I had a nice double garage and a spare car to run around in but I don't. I'm afraid
Audi A8 D3 like to be pampered, warm, operated in CA weather only... Any other extreme weather conditions - all bets are OFF.
As long it fixes itself, I wouldn't worry about it... Got to love A8 engineering.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 03-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Audi A8 D3 like to be pampered, warm, operated in CA weather only... Any other extreme weather conditions - all bets are OFF.
As long it fixes itself, I wouldn't worry about it... Got to love A8 engineering.
Cheers,
Louis
Not sure i entirely agree with that tbh lol, my 2008 S8 with only 48k miles on it here in Qatar which has clearly spent its life being well looked after with a full Audi service history and kept out of the sun is not without it's issues...!!
I've only had it a month or so but already I've noticed it leaving a little oil underneath and i've had to put a liter in the other day, it's only done 10,000km since its las service at Audi so I'd say it's defo sprung a leak of some sort...!!
My washer fluid bottle needs topping up apparently even tho it's full and i too get the yellow suspension light on the dash every 3-4 days... Doesn't seem to actually affect the ride and if I turn the car off and on again, it goes away...
That's not to mention the dodgy boot lid opening problem, sunroof not working at all and all the issues with the speakers/tweeters...
It rains like twice a year here for about 10 minutes and of course, it never snow obviously, the temperature is probably never ever lower than about 65 and thats a winters night...
I will have her plugged in soon when I get a chance, lets see what the real story is then...!! (:
If you want a car that never goes wrong, buy an E38 750i...!! I had 2 when I ;lived in the UK with its inclement weather, one I had for over 4 years and only sold it to move here. Both were 10 years old and had 150k miles when I bought them and I never ever had any problems with either of them...

Quick Reply: Collapsing REAR suspension on W12, help welcomed..