A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Control arm bushings

Going to have the upper control arm bushings replaced finally on my car, as they are split the dealer says. I hear a crunching noise when going over bumps. I am having both front upper's replaced. Can anyone link me to the upper control arm bushings as I find some bushings online but can't tell if it is the upper lower or something else. Hoping to have my local mechanic try to change them for me, hopefully its not too hard. Anything else I should change at the time, or just replace anything if they look bad?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlo...layCatalogid=0
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thankyou very much !
Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control Arm Bushings (Upper)

Do these press in to the Control Arm? About how much labor is involved getting to these, from what I can see you need to drop the air shock from the strut tower.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure, going to have my mechanic look at it and see if he can tackle it. Hopefully he can
Old 09-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
Do these press in to the Control Arm? About how much labor is involved getting to these, from what I can see you need to drop the air shock from the strut tower.
My mechanic was able to get the control arms out without doing anything to the shocks. he swapped both sides in about an hour and a half, but i replaced the arms not the bushings. good luck
Old 09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well the bushings are inside the control arms. So if he can fully replace the arms you can replace the bushings. All you do is take the arms off and pop out the bushings and replace them. Easier said than done, hopefully my mechanic can do it pretty easy as he works out of his garage and he would do it for free.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Well the bushings are inside the control arms. So if he can fully replace the arms you can replace the bushings. All you do is take the arms off and pop out the bushings and replace them. Easier said than done, hopefully my mechanic can do it pretty easy as he works out of his garage and he would do it for free.
good luck, my car rides totally different now. like new. I think that your mechanic will have to press the bushings out and then in.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's what I was contemplating. I don't know what it feels like to have the new bushings in. As when I got the car I think they were in a bad condition. I know i hear a crunch when going over bumps. When you say the car rides completely different, how so? And all you replaced were the upper control arm bushings?
Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
That's what I was contemplating. I don't know what it feels like to have the new bushings in. As when I got the car I think they were in a bad condition. I know i hear a crunch when going over bumps. When you say the car rides completely different, how so? And all you replaced were the upper control arm bushings?
Thanks
Are you sure that "crunch" isn't the clicking wheel bearings (also makes the distinct clicking when turning and standingstill/driving slow such as parking? My car has done that since day 1 but hasn't changed at all (in 60,000+ miles) so I don't even think about it.

Quick Reply: Control arm bushings