A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D.I.Y. Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mishar and MP, I added your input and link onto the First post so anyone reading this can reference your advise. THANKS for all your input.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, do the parking sensors have any wires?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by flag_route
Just curious, do the parking sensors have any wires?
Yes, wires to each sensor head. Undo when pulling a bumper cover; same in back.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Awesome thanks. Guess I'm doing this since I need to get to the compressor.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which compressor. The air suspension compressor all you need to do is pull the drivers side fender liner, ac compressor you would probably need to pull the front bumper, to clear up parking sensors are wired into the harness so there is only 2 plugs for the entire front bumper cover to come off.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sbcrazy
Which compressor. The air suspension compressor all you need to do is pull the drivers side fender liner, ac compressor you would probably need to pull the front bumper, to clear up parking sensors are wired into the harness so there is only 2 plugs for the entire front bumper cover to come off.
I need to replace the air compressor or at least take it out and check if it's the seals that are bad. I just thought since I had to lift the car I might as well do the timing belt. Car is at 112k miles so it definitely needs it replaced.

Also, is a refurbished water pump ok? Is it worth the savings?

Last edited by flag_route; 08-15-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

A genuine Audi (VW/Audi) water pump, which, as far as I know are only available as a remanufactured part is the best choice. Do not, repeat, do not get suckered into buying a new Saleri brand water pump. They are junk, IMHO and per my experience.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
A genuine Audi (VW/Audi) water pump, which, as far as I know are only available as a remanufactured part is the best choice. Do not, repeat, do not get suckered into buying a new Saleri brand water pump. They are junk, IMHO and per my experience.
You cqn get them both ways now--remanufactured or new--for a 4.2: WATER PUMP for 2004 Audi A8 Quattro Part 2; another $110 premium for marked as new.

For earlier poster, a remanunufactured likely comes down to only using the original body, with new bearing, impeller, gasket, etc. That is if it is actually remanufactured (read on). Any failures on quality metal cast ones (like D3) are virtually always in those replaced parts and not in the housing. To be honest, sometimes I wonder though if it isn't just a two tier price game. Costs money to move used cores around and back to manufacturer, and its not like in the old days where the same part is used in literally a million motors. On Bosch MAFs as another example with a lot of variants, you can also pay a lot more for new than remanufactured, but all they supposedly re use is the outer plastic tube. If I was the manufacturing manager, they would all be new frankly behind the scenes with only the part # variant. Somehow I bet in the modern area with so many parts variants that just might be true. Can't be sure however, and they will never let on. Anyway, big picture, yes a rational way to take cost out yet get Audi OES/controlled quality. Agreed w/ Mister Bally and sounds like your sentiments: avoid aftermarket here, especially given the huge cost hassle & damage risks if it goes out early.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-15-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent write up and supporting pix. Thanks for taking the time and effort!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Where can I buy the specialty tools? Preferably in one place. Are there "knock-offs" I should look out for?

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Timing Belt Replacement