A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 "Easter Eggs" - Obscure Features

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack88
It's a device that tells the transmission to go to the lowest selectable gear, the switch that is actuated when the driver puts their foot to the floor, as it were. Without it, the transmission may not go to the lowest gear or take longer to get there.

Thanks, Tom. I actually didn't know of most of these.
Mine was off and now it's on!! Wouldn't know anyways because I never put it to the floor, but the bigger ? Is why is this an option???
Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If I were letting my kids use it, you'd bet I'd turn off the kickdown. They don't need it. If I had kids, anyway.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best obscure feature I discovered last night was the "convenience open" feature. I thought this was just to enable the key to roll down all the windows when the unlock button was held, but nope. I was reading the manual last night and it stated that this "convenience open" feature will also work with the ignition off, driver door open, press the drivers window switch down to the second position for more than two seconds and then all the windows started to roll down. All the windows can also be rolled up by performing the opposite.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

That convenience one is handy to know.

Another random one that might not be obvious. I often have the sunroof shade closed as it's quieter on the highway. Anyway, the sunroof tilt function also works with the sunshade closed. The shade bends up to suit.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
That convenience one is handy to know.

Another random one that might not be obvious. I often have the sunroof shade closed as it's quieter on the highway. Anyway, the sunroof tilt function also works with the sunshade closed. The shade bends up to suit.
That one is cool!i thought ide broke it first time I did it!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I known almost none of these

Most useful for me is the kickdown. I was disappointed in how it responded to fast throttle changes. Thought the adaptation was set by my driving habits.
Looking forward to the sportier shifting. My XJR has a Sport mode that only function is change the shift function. No suspension changes. Much needed in the Crown Vic driving Jags.

Last edited by Panelhead; 04-22-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spell correct
Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Most useful for me is the kickdown. I was disappointed in how it responded to fast throttle changes. Thought the adaptation was set by my driving habits...
It won't change the throttle response across the range (AFAIK), but it allows the trans to shift WAY the hell down (watch it redline and then some!) Throttle response IS (also) set by learning your driving habits, and the key you use tells the transmission which learned style to employ! Kewl - another egg found!

Have you tested it yet, George? Make sure there's a clear lane ahead!

I like the suggestion to turn it off for teen drivers! It's like the "RED KEY" for the Bugattis that allows speeds over the 155 MPH limiter, except a lot less graceful to change ! Ducatis use it, too.

Here's another egg: Brake Disc Wipe. When the wipers are on (or the rain sensor sees rain or snow) and the car's moving, the brakes come on with minute pressure and duration (186ms every 160 seconds IIRC) to keep the discs just dry enough to eliminate the tiny lag disc brakes have when wet.
This was debated in another thread, but it's in one of the SSPs. Somewhere.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just turned the throttle switch under the peddle to the left position as mine was currently on the right.
Wow ! i thought this was a wind up but it kicks down much lower and harder.
Think i will keep it on the right setting when the wife drives .
Great thread i love learning the little tricks, this car has so many little hidden gems.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I'd heard about this kick down switch thing before, but as there was an obvious click feel when I pressed the gas pedal to the floor, I assumed it was in the 'on' position so never actually checked.

Lo and behold, it was not on, so I switched it on. But has to be said in back to back testing, I've not noticed any difference to the kick down performance. Not sure why it would be 'off' from the factory, so it makes me think that in my case there might be a coding tweak to enable it so that it recognizes the switch input?

Last edited by dvs_dave; 04-24-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
...Not sure why it would be 'off' from the factory, so it makes me think that in my case there might be a coding tweak to enable it so that it recognizes the switch input?
You can see it go on & off in VCDS "engine" -> "kickdown": "on/off" in advanced measuring blocks. I ***-U-Me it would not show "on" if it's in the un-activated (left) position and depressed

I, too, have wondered why they'd ship cars like this, only (unlikely) reason is for prevention of hooning by loaders/unloaders (believe me I've seen it happen); just cuz your Aston Martin has 30 miles on the odo doesn't mean it's actually travelled 30 miles under its own power. The back tires have, though ...

Simple test, Dave; time it 40-70 mph both ways. The engine is so torquey it seldom really needs to kick down more than a gear. The kickdown is kinda like sport mode, but more startling. It's most evident when you start from, say, 6th at 40 MPH and it kicks down to second. Your passengers will spill their tea.
You gotta STOMP that **** and hold it though, and hear the "Clik". Not nice for our poor overworked cars.

Quick Reply: D3 "Easter Eggs" - Obscure Features