A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 "Easter Eggs" - Obscure Features

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Egg: Euro-style Parking Lights (One side only)

Park the car with the turn signal activated and when you switch off its ignition, you'll get the steady beeep (NAR) to remind you that, on the way back to the car, everybody will tell you "you got a parking light out". I think as long as the key's in the switch, one can select which side's lights will stay on by moving the turn signal lever.

In Europe (where EVERYTHING is better) on the narrow streets, often parked cars leave their street-side parking lights on.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually, if you just shut off the car with the turn signal "on" the rear parking light will stay on continuously.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Actually, if you just shut off the car with the turn signal "on" the rear parking light will stay on continuously.
Front, too.
Kinda what I said.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
You can see it go on & off in VCDS "engine" -> "kickdown": "on/off" in advanced measuring blocks. I ***-U-Me it would not show "on" if it's in the un-activated (left) position and depressed

I, too, have wondered why they'd ship cars like this, only (unlikely) reason is for prevention of hooning by loaders/unloaders (believe me I've seen it happen); just cuz your Aston Martin has 30 miles on the odo doesn't mean it's actually travelled 30 miles under its own power. The back tires have, though ...

Simple test, Dave; time it 40-70 mph both ways. The engine is so torquey it seldom really needs to kick down more than a gear. The kickdown is kinda like sport mode, but more startling. It's most evident when you start from, say, 6th at 40 MPH and it kicks down to second. Your passengers will spill their tea.
You gotta STOMP that **** and hold it though, and hear the "Clik". Not nice for our poor overworked cars.
I was a pit perplexed by my experience with this whole switch on/off business and it seems there's some misinformation flying around. I plugged in VCDS and went into the trans controller and measuring block 008 where the kick down switch function is shown.

On my car at least, the switch is operational in the "right" position. I.e. Turned clockwise. It's off in the left (anti-clockwise) position. When it's off, "kick down" doesn't appear in the kickdown box when the switch is pressed.

So as it happens, my kickdown button was always on.

^^^ Switch in 'off' (left) position, throttle to the floor and kick down switch depressed.

^^^ Switch in 'on' (right) position, throttle to the floor and kick down switch depressed.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 04-25-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM
2015 A8L TDI

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Your car has 3 sunvisors.
The third one is very small and located in front of the rear view mirror
Old 04-26-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dville
Your car has 3 sunvisors.
The third one is very small and located in front of the rear view mirror
This is by far one of the most memorable, once I discovered it with my father, his reaction was priceless.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, I forgot about the little hook for suit jackets for the rear passengers, on the B pillar if I recall.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you've seen the zooming double vanity mirrors in visors.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbell
This is by far one of the most memorable, once I discovered it with my father, his reaction was priceless.
We had a 2000 A6 for around 8 years before we found that little jewel. What a nice 'extra' to find on a bright morning with the sun beaming in.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the kickdown performance and overall trans behavious is drasticaly changed in S mode vs D mode.
IN fact D mode in the S8 kind of makes me mad as when i was to pull out at 30-40% throttle it will upshift instead of keeping it the current gear or downshifting. And i dont want floor it as that is way too much power for making a turn.

S mode is good as it will down shift with minimal throttle input and will hold lower gears, but sometiems when cruising 50-60 mpg in S mode it will keep it in higher gear when not really necessary.

So sometimes i jsut put it in D manual mode and use the flappy paddles, or start off in S on city streets then when i get to speed put it into D to have it upshift

Quick Reply: D3 "Easter Eggs" - Obscure Features