A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 "Easter Eggs" - Obscure Features

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 05:18 PM
2015 A8L TDI

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

remember the Lexus that crashed with 4 people in it because the throttle stuck? Lexus said all they had to do was hold the STOP button for 3 seconds to kill the engine anytime.

Well, my Audi does NOT have that feature...guess I know how i'm gonna die
Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dville
remember the Lexus that crashed with 4 people in it because the throttle stuck? Lexus said all they had to do was hold the STOP button for 3 seconds to kill the engine anytime.

Well, my Audi does NOT have that feature...guess I know how i'm gonna die
that is true, it doesn't have that feature and for a good reason. Don't want the steering to lock at speed. However all you have to do is apply the brakes for 2-3 seconds while the engine is at WOT, and the engine returns to idle. Try it sometime. At least you won't die in your Audi because the accelerator stuck.

Another good reason for throttle by wire.

Last edited by richard-tx; 04-28-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Also, holding the parking brake will activate all four corners at maximum pressure. Just make sure you batten down the hatches before you try that one, it stops you quick enough to detach your retinas.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
it stops you quick enough to detach your retinas.
Tired this going only 15 mpg, and can confirm! Was a great way to test my friendships to!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Great bunch of jewels. I knew about some of them including the "little sunshade". Unfortunately, it's a waste. The sun is inevitably between the mirror and the driver's shade. I've seen some American iron where the left and right shade extend towards the mirror, going behind to block out that pesky sun. I am also going to check out if the rear sunshade goes down in reverse. I like mine up all the time because I keep a big umbrella on the rear shelf and UV from the sun rots it.

I've never seen the gas cap light. Maybe I'll experiment with it. I find the windshield squirt adjustment impossible. It could be my big head, but i can't see what I'm doing and may not be using a big enough needle. I do remember back in HS biology class we had a wooden stick with a needle in the end. Bio teacher instructed us to "pith" the live frog by sticking in the brain stem. This paralyzed it to allow dissecting so you could see the heart beat. (yeah, back then PETA would have had a field day with my teacher)

The biggest myster for me it not specifically about the gas tank min-reservoir. But the strange gas tank over all. I'd love to see an explanation of the gas tank "chambers", why two pumps and how all of it works.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by audijim113

The biggest myster for me it not specifically about the gas tank min-reservoir. But the strange gas tank over all. I'd love to see an explanation of the gas tank "chambers", why two pumps and how all of it works.

Thanks
P34-40 of this SSP will tell you all you need to know about the fuel tank.
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_282_d1.pdf
Old 04-30-2017, 11:58 AM
2015 A8L TDI

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by audijim113
... and the driver's shade. I've seen some American iron where the left and right shade extend towards the mirror, going behind to block out that pesky sun.
Thanks
Audi shades also extend towards the middle
Old 05-03-2017, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine doesn't extend and I was trying to get that to happen a few years ago and nearly broke the thing. Drove me nuts
Old 05-03-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Mine doesn't extend and I was trying to get that to happen a few years ago and nearly broke the thing. Drove me nuts
maybe its a USA thing....i tried it this morning and it telescoped. Wow, what a nice feature. Saab used to provide 2 sunvisors so you can leave one toward the front windshield and rotate the smaller visor to the driver side window.
That was sweet, but so is this one.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Try both sides; when I got my first 2004 the driver's side was quite stiff to put up or down and apparently did not extend. The passenger side did, though. Found them on Ebay for ~25 bucks and decided to try fixing mine knowing the worst case scenario would be buying one there. Took it off, no apparent way to disassemble, so I lubed the shaft with something aerosol & plastic safe and it loosened it up enough to pull it out (with great effort). Put some silicone grease on it (which was clear to start and quickly became dark grey), worked it in & out, and that has helped, but I'm constantly thinking I should buy one because it's still really difficult to move. If I ever do, I'll dissect the old one and get to the root of the problem and post it.

Quick Reply: D3 "Easter Eggs" - Obscure Features