A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door exterior handle swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well tonight I decided to do the cheapest of the options and replace my keyfob battery to no success. My driver side rear door works when I put my hand under the door (along with both doors on passenger side).
However my driver door still doesn't work .
Still same thing where if I pull up on the handle then all the doors will unlock....not quite as cool as the sensors but I'm not tearing the door apart for it. It's annoying how just over the course of a day it stopped working. One day it's working then the next day it's not and hasn't worked since. I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hughmungus
Good write up, I have tried to do the same but couldn't figure out how to take the big aluminium door panel off. I took out around 10 screws but it just wouldn't come away at the top. Are there any special fixings other than screws ?
If I'm not mistaken, one of the screws in the soft-close motor hold the door on... or something like that? I will ask my mechanic what he remembers. I took pictures, but basically I have one pic with the aluminum panel on, still will all bolts in place, and another pic with it completely off...
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrandrewjames
Well tonight I decided to do the cheapest of the options and replace my keyfob battery to no success. My driver side rear door works when I put my hand under the door (along with both doors on passenger side).
However my driver door still doesn't work .
Still same thing where if I pull up on the handle then all the doors will unlock....not quite as cool as the sensors but I'm not tearing the door apart for it. It's annoying how just over the course of a day it stopped working. One day it's working then the next day it's not and hasn't worked since. I appreciate all the feedback.
I found it quite satisfying to get it apart and make that repair... I had already purchased a used door handle with sensors piece, so I was ready to replace any faulty part... but found that someone reassembled the door and did not feed the cables into the right spot, thus whenever the driver door was opened it would touch the wire and eventually broken one! Upon reassembly we routed the wires so nothing tounches them from the door handle,
Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hughmungus
Good write up, I have tried to do the same but couldn't figure out how to take the big aluminium door panel off. I took out around 10 screws but it just wouldn't come away at the top. Are there any special fixings other than screws ?
Ok, so I was over at my mechanics house last week (doing a bunch of little fixes)... so I asked him about what you might be missing in getting that inner door panel off... he said most likely it's the 2 bolts that hold the window regulator on... we had to stick masking tape on the inside of the window wrap it up and over the door frame and stick it on the outside of the window... so it wouldn't fall... kind of like a hanger bracket/clamp. Maybe that is the last piece of the puzzle for you in getting that panel off?
Old 11-06-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

So now with a fully functional driver door handle... regarding the keyless lock and unlock functions)... we seem to have developed a new problem???

As of a few days ago, whenever I lock the doors using the button on the driver door handle... all of the doors lock and I get the beep, lights flash... all seems to be good... but if I don't immediately walk away from the car... the doors will all unlock without me touching anything!!!

I've tested this numerous times, with both master keys (individually)... and it happens almost every time??? It's almost like it is detecting a hand under the door handle which activates the unlock function? The weird thing is that if I go over to the other side of the car and press the door lock button, the doors lock just the same... but they don't unlock even if I stay near the car?

Kind of sounds like the original driver door handle is having a problem with the sensor that detects a hand under the handle... but only when the car is locked from that door??? Which is the weird part!!!

I guess we will be going in there again and actually swapping the door handle for the used one that I bought (but did not install as we found the problem to be a broken wire).

Last edited by 97urS6; 11-06-2016 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 97urS6
So now with a fully functional driver door handle... regarding the keyless lock and unlock functions)... we seem to have developed a new problem???

As of a few days ago, whenever I lock the doors using the button on the driver door handle... all of the doors lock and I get the beep, lights flash... all seems to be good... but if I don't immediately walk away from the car... the doors will all unlock without me touching anything!!!
I have the same issue with my driver door handle. It is clearly visible in VCDS that the proximity sensor is constantly activated.

So if you are standind near the driver door when you close it the car thinks you are touching the handle so it opens immediately.

I already have the replacement handle, just need some time to swap it. I have already done the rear handles.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for not replying been busy at work etc, thanks to all for taking the time to help.

I will have a go nest weekend and report back.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've tested this numerous times, with both master keys (individually)... and it happens almost every time??? It's almost like it is detecting a hand under the door handle which activates the unlock function? The weird thing is that if I go over to the other side of the car and press the door lock button, the doors lock just the same... but they don't unlock even if I stay near the car?

Kind of sounds like the original driver door handle is having a problem with the sensor that detects a hand under the handle... but only when the car is locked from that door??? Which is the weird part!!!

I guess we will be going in there again and actually swapping the door handle for the used one that I bought (but did not install as we found the problem to be a broken wire).
Having the same issues. Did new handle help?
Old 02-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hereyago...

On my 2006 A8L, the driver door handle has 2 problems:
1. The button on top does not activate the Advanced Key door locks (all other doors work).
2. The under handle sensor does not activate the Advanced Key unlock feature (all other doors work).

I have purchased a used replacement (with colour matching Black plate), now I would like to do the handle swap... but I have a few questions:

1. Is there any good "how to" descriptions and/or videos for this procedure?
2. Need to swap over the physical key lock piece, how to do that?
3. Is there any other software related steps required to get the new handle to work with the my key?

Thanks in advance.
I've done it, it's more complicated than you would think.
Attached Files
Old 07-14-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The door handle replacement write up is the best I've found. ScottCNelson, great job! There was also a write up on replacing the lock microswitch. Although I don't think it will be easy, I'm confident my door locking operation can be restored.

Since I'll have the patient opened up on the operating table, I might as well address the soft close which doesn't work.

Is there a similar explanation or write up for the soft close?

Quick Reply: Driver door exterior handle swap