A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Engine mount errors seem common

You can run the self test on the mounts w/ VAG COM and see if you hear the solenoids click that drive them. Also do a visual and see if you see oily stains oozing out of the area. If it doesn't click, it may be messed up, may be unplugged, or might just be a connector issue. If it has leakage, obviously blown.

Many seem just to leave it be; usual result is just a bit more vibration at idle. Have this on my 2000 A6 4.2 and frankly hardly notice any difference unless I really think about it at idle.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled the blue plug from the ECU in the boot and took the cover off and one of the chips had a big hole in it. I presume the damage was caused by jump starting it with a completely flat battery. I have the ECU on order but just wondered if this ECU could be causing all of my problems, I have also noticed that under the bonnet it sounds like a fan is running all the time which could be contributing to the battery drain.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, today I replaced the module (4E0 907 289) with one I found on eBay.

Currently:
1. The boot closes and opens with the buttons
2. All the rear lights work (had to clean some of the terminals)
3. Not sure of battery drain yet
4. The MMI screen still will not open and without it I cant check if the stereo is doing anything, the owner has added in an after market TV tuner but I'm unsure i this would effect it.
Just wondered if anyone has any advice on where to start with the MMI.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any ideas on where to start with the MMI?
I have also noticed that the phone under the arm rest does nothing and when the lights are turned on none of the buttons around the MMI controls light up. But the stop button works as does the electric hand brake.
The battery is still draining so that is tomorrows job.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by danielb3
I have also noticed that the phone under the arm rest does nothing and when the lights are turned on none of the buttons around the MMI controls light up. But the stop button works as does the electric hand brake.
The battery is still draining so that is tomorrows job.
Thanks,
Dan
EDIT: Also the CD changer in the glove box lights up, loads and ejects CDs and the Sat nav module in the boot seems to read the DVD whenever it wants.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Full scan

This concerns me some:
Chassis Type: 4D - Audi A8 D2
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,35,36,37,45,55,56,65,76
Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4E0 910 560 H
Component: 3.7L V8/5V G 0010
Coding: 0011773
Shop #: WSC 02313
1 Fault Found:
17979 - Left Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N144): Short to Plus
P1571 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
Readiness: 0010 1001
Skipping Address 15-Airbags
End -------------------------------------------------------
Is this output from VAS or a third party (non Ross-Tech) tool ?

Can you provide a complete Autoscan ?
Also an optical bus diagnostic would be useful: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/optical-bus.html

EDIT: Based on the part number it looks like you replaced module 46 - Comfort aka Central Convenience.
Was any coding done after it was replaced ?

Last edited by jakematic; 12-02-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 12-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Firstly just wanted to say thanks for your reply.
Originally Posted by jakematic
This concerns me some:
Yeah I can see why . I just want to say I'm not a complete beginner I do have a degree in automotive electronic engineering I'm just new to Audis and this is definitely the deep end!

Is this output from VAS or a third party (non Ross-Tech) tool ?
This was a third party interface so yeah it wasn't a full scan .

Can you provide a complete Autoscan ?
Also an optical bus diagnostic would be useful: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/optical-bus.html
I can now I've borrowed a full version of VCDS. Please find attached below an optical bus scan and a full scan.

EDIT: Based on the part number it looks like you replaced module 46 - Comfort aka Central Convenience.
Was any coding done after it was replaced ?
Yes I did replace the Central Convenience module and no coding has been done.

Thanks again,
Dan

PS: It wouldn't let me attach the text files as they're too large so I put them in a zip folder
Attached Files
File Type: zip
txt files.zip (8.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-15-2013, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just want to say I'm not a complete beginner I do have a degree in automotive electronic engineering I'm just new to Audis and this is definitely the deep end!
Glad to assist, and yes this is definitely the deep end

First thing I would do is correct the optical issues.
Normal stuff - check electrical connection and fuses for 77 and 37.
If that doesn't work bypass them optically to narrow things down.
Control head optical error makes me wonder if the fibres are in backwards - done that before.
Friday,13,December,2013,16:16:29:32264

Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 468
Component and/or Version: Gateway H07 0050

Optical Bus Diagnostic : Standard

Controller Electrical Optical
19-CAN Gateway OK OK
07-Control Head(High/D3) OK ERROR
1E-Media Player 2 OK OK
77-Telephone ERROR ERROR
47-Sound System OK OK
67-Voice Control OK OK
56-Radio OK OK
57-TV Tuner OK OK
37-Navigation ERROR ERROR

Component protection is active on modules 17 and 46 and will have to be removed by a dealer.

s4master1 has good advice on the brake switch.

Several modules show electrical fault in circuit and would be the first place to check wiring to be sure nothing got chewed on or pinched while sitting and getting paint.

The 2003 dates are likely due to battery dying since the clock defaults to build date.
Not sure what to make of the 2127 dates....

Once things are stable you should be able to clear the DTC's and scan again, narrowing things down a little further.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,
I've checked all the fuses and the connections, they are all okay. I've also found out that the satnav module is not factory and has never worked! I've traced the wiring and there seem to be 5 small wires in a set of 2 and 3. The set of 2 has a red and a black which is connected to the back of the 12v socket in the boot and the set of 3 wires has two unconnected and one soldered to another module on the left hand side of the boot (I'll try and get a photo). Before I bypass the nav back to factory, does anyone know where these two unconnected wires should go, one has a red ring on it and one has an orange ring?
Strange thing is I did a few optical bus scans in a row and one showed everything as okay? Then the next showed the previous results.
I also cleared the DTC's and rescanned, which seems to have removed CP from module 17? (results attached).

Also I've tracked the following codes to a water damaged alarm and a stuck motor. Also the passenger seat isn't important at the moment.
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
02107 - Trunk or Luggage Compartment Opening Motor (V254)

Plan is to buy an optical loop bypass adapter for the telephone module and bypass the nav by pulling the fibres. I have tried my two local Audi dealers and one of them was busy and the other didn't know what component protection was and just left me on hold for 10 minutes before cutting me off.

Thanks,
Dan
Attached Files
File Type: txt
AFTER_DTC_REMOVAL.txt (16.6 KB, 243 views)
Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi,
I've checked all the fuses and the connections, they are all okay. I've also found out that the satnav module is not factory and has never worked! I've traced the wiring and there seem to be 5 small wires in a set of 2 and 3. The set of 2 has a red and a black which is connected to the back of the 12v socket in the boot and the set of 3 wires has two unconnected and one soldered to another module on the left hand side of the boot (I'll try and get a photo). Before I bypass the nav back to factory, does anyone know where these two unconnected wires should go, one has a red ring on it and one has an orange ring?
Strange thing is I did a few optical bus scans in a row and one showed everything as okay? Then the next showed the previous results.
I also cleared the DTC's and rescanned, which seems to have removed CP from module 17? (results attached).

Also I've tracked the following codes to a water damaged alarm and a stuck motor. Also the passenger seat isn't important at the moment.
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
02107 - Trunk or Luggage Compartment Opening Motor (V254)

Plan is to buy an optical loop bypass adapter for the telephone module and bypass the nav by pulling the fibres. I have tried my two local Audi dealers and one of them was busy and the other didn't know what component protection was and just left me on hold for 10 minutes before cutting me off.

Thanks,
Dan

Just wondering how 01134 - Alarm Horn (H12) relates to water damage?

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems!!