A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPC Light On After Intake/Injector Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EPC Light On After Intake/Injector Cleaning

2007 D3 4.2 - oil was leaking from oil filter housing so I planned to also clean the intake manifold and intake valves and replace the valley pan gasket. I also cleaned out the throttle body and flushed the PCV valve. I chose to use the walnut blasting method with the adapter and vaccuum. Took my time - double checking all connections and making sure everything was back in order. Removed all plugs to clean and check for any debris. Went to start car after reassembly and car cranked once and would not turn over - EPC and check engine light were on. I'm new to VAG-COM, but understand the basics. I wasn't showing any misfires or engine-related codes which I thought was strange. My thought was fuel related since I had to disconnect fuel lines. I've triple checked everything and all seems in order connection wise. The car seems to be locked down now which makes me think some adaptation is needed. After playing with VAG-COM some more and research online - I really couldn't find a good list of adaptation steps to take. I was able to successfully run a fuel pump adaptation (according to VAG-COM), but I'm thinking there's more to it than that. Any ideas and/or proper VAG-COM steps to take here?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

EPC light comes on if the engine doesn’t start (amongst other things. Much like the old school battery lamp, to indicate no charging current flow.

Anyway, given that you’ve had the intake off and consequently disturbed the fuel system, I’d suggest it’s just air in the fuel line. Crank it over some more and it should come back to life.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
EPC light comes on if the engine doesn’t start (amongst other things. Much like the old school battery lamp, to indicate no charging current flow.

Anyway, given that you’ve had the intake off and consequently disturbed the fuel system, I’d suggest it’s just air in the fuel line. Crank it over some more and it should come back to life.
I thought the same thing - I've tried to crank it multiple times and it doesnt sound like it's trying to get better - each try is just a split second crank and then it stops. Sure acts like the computer is stopping the crank.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

With no start it’ll stop cranking automatically. What codes are coming up? Have you wired the injectors and coil packs back up correctly?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I've Not Seen

Originally Posted by aebarto11
2007 D3 4.2 - oil was leaking from oil filter housing so I planned to also clean the intake manifold and intake valves and replace the valley pan gasket. I also cleaned out the throttle body and flushed the PCV valve. I chose to use the walnut blasting method with the adapter and vaccuum. Took my time - double checking all connections and making sure everything was back in order. Removed all plugs to clean and check for any debris. Went to start car after reassembly and car cranked once and would not turn over - EPC and check engine light were on. I'm new to VAG-COM, but understand the basics. I wasn't showing any misfires or engine-related codes which I thought was strange. My thought was fuel related since I had to disconnect fuel lines. I've triple checked everything and all seems in order connection wise. The car seems to be locked down now which makes me think some adaptation is needed. After playing with VAG-COM some more and research online - I really couldn't find a good list of adaptation steps to take. I was able to successfully run a fuel pump adaptation (according to VAG-COM), but I'm thinking there's more to it than that. Any ideas and/or proper VAG-COM steps to take here?
any reference to adaptions after doing a carbon clean on any write up of the procs.

How-To: C6 S6 Intake Manifold Removal & Carbon Clean

The Audi S6 S8 5.2 V10 carbon clean thread.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
any reference to adaptions after doing a carbon clean on any write up of the procs.

How-To: C6 S6 Intake Manifold Removal & Carbon Clean

The Audi S6 S8 5.2 V10 carbon clean thread.
Lots of good info there! I'll post the codes I'm getting from VAG-COM to see if something stands out. I dug a little deeper into VAG COM Monday night and there's definitely a couple control modules not happy. Biggest concern now is it says the ABS module is bad. I know you can do harm to it by improper adaptation, but I never tried any brake adaptation processes. I let the car sit overnight with neg battery terminal off hoping for a reset and also tried the clear code 3x and still no luck (unless I did it incorrectly?) Keep in mind I didn't have a single light on or issue prior to doing this. I did run all the output tests for 01 Engine and everything responded without any errors so I"m fairly confident that everything that was disurbed is back online. Other red flag was it says I need to clear ECM DTC history which I've tried, but codes keep coming back. It's all very strange & frustrating!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I would potentially try cracking a fuel line at the high pressure fuel pump to see if it is pressurized, it should be. If not, there is no fuel to the rail. You could probably jump the fuel pump relay (or maybe VAG-COM will run it for you under output tests, don't know) with the line cracked to see if you get fuel flow.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaulW
I would potentially try cracking a fuel line at the high pressure fuel pump to see if it is pressurized, it should be. If not, there is no fuel to the rail. You could probably jump the fuel pump relay (or maybe VAG-COM will run it for you under output tests, don't know) with the line cracked to see if you get fuel flow.
I was able to successfully run the fuel pump with output test - I could hear it run. I'm pretty convinced that a module or something is keeping the car from starting. Everytime I try to start it - it literally cranks for half a second and then the car basically shuts down. The car is acting like the battery is bad, but the battery meter shows 100%, I did a load test with a battery tester which shows fine, and I've tried starting with the charger connected in start mode. It acts the same way with all three. I did realize when I tried to start it the first time after all was back together - the battery was low. I just figured it ran low sitting in the garage for 5 days with the hood up (battery is 10 mos old). Wandering if something freaked out in the car trying that first start on a low battery?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

When you say it cranks for a half a second and shuts down, are you saying it does not catch and then it shuts down before catching?

If you haven't tried cracking the fuel rail to see if it is pressurized, I would do that. Running the pump is not enough. It could be like the Audi R8 at Watkins Glen last weekend, they ran the car very low on fuel, then it stalled on pit lane and they couldn't get it primed again after the refuel.

I could be wrong also....but it's a good test. I don't know if you can read fuel pressure in VAG-COM, but if you can, that's another good thing to look at. I think it does look at the high pressure side, but am uncertain.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaulW
When you say it cranks for a half a second and shuts down, are you saying it does not catch and then it shuts down before catching?

If you haven't tried cracking the fuel rail to see if it is pressurized, I would do that. Running the pump is not enough. It could be like the Audi R8 at Watkins Glen last weekend, they ran the car very low on fuel, then it stalled on pit lane and they couldn't get it primed again after the refuel.

I could be wrong also....but it's a good test. I don't know if you can read fuel pressure in VAG-COM, but if you can, that's another good thing to look at. I think it does look at the high pressure side, but am uncertain.
Doesn't catch at all. Only way to describe it is imagine accidentaly touching the starter with 12 volts and it kicks real quick - I wouldnt even call it a full revolution. After it "kicks" the whole car pretty much shuts itself down dash lights and all - you then cycle the key and everything comes back on. You'd think the battery was bad, but the load test I did says its fine. I couldn't imagine it being the starter since it was starting perfect before. I'll post the VAG-COM info this evening when I get home.

Quick Reply: EPC Light On After Intake/Injector Cleaning