A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Fault Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the epc light changed MAF sensor and connector, new break light switch and still that light is on and it’s idling very rough, Amy suggestions?
Old 05-14-2020, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Scan your car with VCDS and post the log, this way you can really narrow it down. Rough idle could be a failed ignition coil, which with VCDS you can narrow down which one it is.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brozee
Scan your car with VCDS and post the log, this way you can really narrow it down. Rough idle could be a failed ignition coil, which with VCDS you can narrow down which one it is.
P0299: Turbo/Super Charger Underboost, VAG01314: Engine control module (ECM), VAG01316: Brake control module Please read DTC, and VAG02635: Tuner not enabled/activated
Old 05-15-2020, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Should be able to expand on this and run a detailed report to show specifics.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake lights?

I'm wondering if your brake lights were working with the faulty switch??
Old 12-16-2020, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have a 2008 Q7 that is showing an ESP fault and its causing the car to not start can anyone help!!! please
Old 12-16-2020, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Farron Mock
i have a 2008 Q7 that is showing an ESP fault and its causing the car to not start can anyone help!!! please
You'll need to run a diagnostic scan on the vehicle using VCDS. If you don't have and don't want to buy the interface, take/tow the vehicle to someone who has it or see if someone local to you will come to you and run a scan.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
You'll need to run a diagnostic scan on the vehicle using VCDS. If you don't have and don't want to buy the interface, take/tow the vehicle to someone who has it or see if someone local to you will come to you and run a scan.
Hello, I have the same problem with the car, it reports an error, the esp engine does not start

Old 03-07-2021, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomaž Krenkar
Hello, I have the same problem with the car, it reports an error, the esp engine does not start
I had the same problem on my 2007 A6 4.2L. When ignition was turned on, it would show ESP fault, then brake fault, ABS fault, then, basically "everything" fault and the engine would turn but not start.

The issue was an ESP relay, I paid $42CAD to have it replaced a couple years ago (after they charged me around $300CAD for a new battery and told me I was good to go).
The dumbasses at the dealership don't listen, they just trust the computer: "computer says it's your battery" they told me, then added: "we boosted your car and it started just fine."
My words ("the battery is fine, I discharged it while trying to start, it does not need replacement") were ignored, I think if I had just thrown dry peas at the wall it would've made more sense.
When the problem returned 2 days later, they spent 4 hours on diagnostic (for which I refused to pay since they told me earlier the problem was solved) and found the problem to be a $42CAD part.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
KoJackee (05-27-2022)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by audijim113

Only after I removed the ABS module from brake modulator pump, sent it out to ABS repair guy ($125 bucks) and reinstalled, did the problem go away. NOTE, MODULE CAN BE REMOVED WITHOUT DISCONNECTING BRAKE LINES, which means bleeding to reinstall. It's been seven months and no warning lights. If you have more than a few miles on your D3 (or other models) more than likely the module is the problem. Audi used ultrasonic welds on contacts inside module which fail over time and heat in engine compartment. Put your hand in the tight space between module and exhaust manifold to find out how much heat. Although not certain, it's possible car can be driven with module removed waiting about 10 days turn around shipping to & from repair. I did this on an earlier D2 and wrapped ABS modulator with plastic bag to prevent water (rain, etc) from getting into solenoid thingies exposed with module removed.
Who did you use to rebuild yours? I am ready to try again.
I sent mine to the people who rebuilt the ABS controller in the wife’s BMW. That came back better than new. They seemed more versed in fixing the BMW controllers.
I had temperature related three lights and the beep before. But after rebuild the lights come up before the engine starts.
As a hope and prayer replaced the brake light switch. No help, but cars seems to run better.

Quick Reply: ESP Fault Solved!