A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-time Audi A8 shopper, looking for some insight

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-time Audi A8 shopper, looking for some insight

I have just begun looking for a used Audi A8L to replace my wife's 1994 Acura Legend. (We hold on to our cars for a long time, so I like to do a lot of research to find the best match of features and options.) I have never owned an Audi before, so I do not know where the most active and informative enthusiast web sites are yet. I found Audizine as well, so I will be searching that site too. Are there other enthusiast sites that discuss cool features, problems to look for, etc. in the late A8?

I have a BMW 7 Series with just about every cool electronic and A/V feature available (premium sound, DVD navigation, Sirius, Bluetooth, Television, Backup Camera, etc.), and I am hoping to get as much of those kinds of features as possible in the A8. I think that I want at least a 2004 A8, since that has the latest platform and would have BT and DVD navigation available. So here go my questions...

* Are there any known issues with this first model year on the new platform that I should be concerned about?
* I am probably not interested in the sport package, but I am curious if anyone has any strong feelings about what I might give up if I did not get it.
* What are your favorite features worth seeking out?
* What are the significant engine, transmission, major feature, or cosmetic changes from 2004 through 2007?
* Is the backup camera standard with navigation, or is that a separate option?

TIA
Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OK, here's my $0.02 - 1) you came to the right place for the A8 model discussion...

2) Since the latest electronic features are important to you, I recommend that you consider a 2005 A8 model after VIN # 10650 or later. Bluetooth integration replaced the old analog OnStar system after that VIN. You mentioned TV, I assume you mean some sort of rear seat entertainment system which until recently was only available in the 6.0L W12 model but there are some here on this forum that have done aftermarket installs as well.
3) First model year was 2004 - various electrical gremlins for some, no Bluetooth.
4) Sport package is very rare in the used car market - unlikely to find one. The sport package has different version of the air suspension (20mm lower) - best results for SWB owners.
5) My favorite features - Bluetooth, Alcantara pkg, solar sunroof, advanced key - wish I had the dual pane security glass
6) New grille with MY2006 models - more aggressive look; MY2007 included engine upgrade from 335bhp to 350bhp with FSI technology from the R8 race car; backup camera
7) As for the backup camera, you are looking at getting a brand new A8 (MY2007) if you have to have that feature - the Premium package is required to get the Advanced Parking System with backup camera

After spending a few hours with the MMI system, you may be giving the wife the BMW to drive. IMHO, it is easier to navigate than the iDrive. OF course you might feel the same about the rest of the car too! Good luck.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:40 PM

Default This is great. You answered a ton of things that I had guessed wrong.

BT is probably one of my highest priority features, and I would have assumed that was on the 2004. And it has been my experience that most used dealer salesman really do not get that kind of info right.

TV is not that big a deal, just a cool show-off toy. BMW has a module that will play TV on the nav screen (when parked), but I actually never use mine. The main thing that TV gives me on the BMW is the backup camera capability.

I also did not know that the newest grill hit in 2006. I thought this arrived on the 2004 model year. Now I am anxious to look at them closer, because I am not sure that I could pick out the 2004 from the rest.

The wheels you have in your signature are some of my favorites on any car of any make. Are those the 19" wheels, and what are they called?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Re: First-time Audi A8 shopper, looking for some insight

Here are my observations---

* Are there any known issues with this first model year on the new platform that I should be concerned about?
There were/are a number of 2004 MY vehicles that experienced 1st year issues; most of which were MMI-related. Several owners are also reporting intermittant windshield wiper failures. I'm sure several forum members with more direct/personal experience will comment in more detail. I'd try to focus in on MY 2005 for this reason and the avialability of bluetooth.

* I am probably not interested in the sport package, but I am curious if anyone has any strong feelings about what I might give up if I did not get it.
I have no experience w/sport package, but find the "dynamic" suspension setting to be firm enough for my taste, and does provide good high speed/highway control. The good looking sport package wheels are, IMO, quite nice and give the car a more aggressive stance. Sport Package not available in 2004, availability first began in mid-year 2005 for MY '05 cars.

* What are your favorite features worth seeking out?
Premium Package is a key option (was it called Convenience Package in '04/'05???), since it contains a number of electronic power goodies (probably most pre-owned cars will have it); I like the heated steering wheel (n/a on sport pkg cars, or cars w/wood steering wheel); some folks like the ventilated seats; alcantara headliner and trim option is very luxurious; and dual-paned glass adds a bit more soundproofing and outside temp protection.

* What are the significant engine, transmission, major feature, or cosmetic changes from 2004 through 2007?
Biggest change from 2004 to '07 is the new 350-hp FSI engine in 2007 that replaces the prior 335-hp engine. Driver info display and headrest changes made in '07 vs. '04 thru '06. Other more noticable changes involve new option availabilities that really don't affect the car's exterior architecture/design.

* Is the backup camera standard with navigation, or is that a separate option?
Rear-view camera new for '07, and part of the Premium Package which includes rear parktronic system. Prior years did not have the camera, although 2006 cars did have visual front & rear parktronic display on MMI screen.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My pennies worth

I also had been lurking on the forum before jumping in to obtain similar information. I have been in XJ Jaguars since 1994. A couple of years ago we bought the wife a 2001 A6 and I was very impressed with AWD and fit and finish so I started looking at the A8L. Drove a few dealers crazy in process, but decided with engine power increase for MY 2007, value would likely hold better in the long run. They delivered my 2007 this last Friday. LOVE IT! See post below.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Oooops, forgot about the grill change in '06 on SWB and L versions!!! Also, SWB model...

became available in 2005. :^)
Old 08-02-2006, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: First-time Audi A8 shopper, looking for some insight

personally, not just because I drive the 06, since you are looking for an used A8, the 06 right now would be a good deal since it will have everything you want except for the backup camera and 15hp less then the 07, dealers should be really more generous in discounts. Also, as an 06 owner myself, car has been absolutely flawless besides some trouble with the door lock mechanism initially, but service handled it very nicely. And of course in the 06, you get that beautifull big grille that i totally love haha.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wheels are optional 9Jx20 that you can get at the dealer - also option on W12

Several folks here have them - the wheel style is old for Audi but looks great on the A8.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default One thing, should you go with an '04, try to stay above about VIN #15,000...

most gremlins with the '04's seemed to occur in the very low VIN numbers and/or what AoA called launch vehicles. However, some people have had very few problems with lower VIN #'s. My VIN is over 16,500 and I have had zero issues in almost 3 years, I took delivery in FEB2004, my baby was originally delivered to a Florida dealer and was shipped here to my Atlanta dealer, since I wanted this color combo. This is my 3rd A8 (others were D2 models which had various tranny problems after warranty period) and you can not believe the improved reliability Audi has acheived in the '04MY and it is even better after that in '05/'06. Also, for what it's worth, I believe MY'08 is the next scheduled body style change with another tranny change coming with it ( I believe Audi is going to a Borg-Warner DSG tranny vs ZF ). Also, DerKimbo tells me that there will be an "s-line" A8 in 2008 (diff from an S8).

FYI, AoA only brought the "L" version over in MY'04.

Good luck.

Here is a pic of my MY'04 and the wheel style you will see most prevalent, they are the 19"er's.<ul><li><a href="http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/14005/dat-ms.jpg">My '04-D3 A8L</a></li></ul>
Old 08-03-2006, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My experience is the same. I had an 05 SWB (no bluetooth) that ..

had numerous small but irritating problems. The dealer fixed all of them and was extremely helpful but the car spent more time in the shop than any car I have owned. I loved the car but it was not the best ownership experience.
The 06 I have now has been flawless - and I mean flawless. Other than the airbag harness recall it has had no problems and the overall quality of the components and the fit / finish is better in my opinion. Bluetooth works perfectly, the sport package is great fun - in my opinion don't buy one without the paddle shift, the ventillated seats do work despite certain reports to the contrary just don't expect an arctic blast on your rear end - not sure why you'd want this anyway. I drive 30 - 35000 miles a year and the seats keep my back dry, a refreshing change from the SWN w/o the ventillated seats
I like it so much I have an S8 on order expected later this year but I know I will miss the seat ventillation on the long journeys.
Net, if it must be used, I would look for a later model 05 or an 06. The others have said everything else that needs to be said

Quick Reply: First-time Audi A8 shopper, looking for some insight