A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Upgrade

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've recently bought an A8 d3. It has the standard halogen headlights that unfortunately have been butchered by a previous owner fitting a very budget HID kit. My question is; can the upgrade no xenon headlights be fitted to my car without any modification? I.e is the wiring the same? Thanks.

Callum
Old 11-06-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Umm, these cars come with HID headlights factory. The precious owner may have installed cheap replacements when one went out.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Umm, these cars come with HID headlights factory. The precious owner may have installed cheap replacements when one went out.
so if I get a pair of bulbs and balast resistors i should be able to re-fit the standard bulbs?
Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can probably swap out with a set of headlamp assemblies or just get the three modules; there's the pre-AFS (auto aiming module), the controller computer, and the ballast unit (a Hella brand) inside the assembly. The other two mount outside of it. Assuming he didn't wreak havoc on all of your wires and whatnot, you'll be fine. I have two headlamp assemblies (they don't look the best) with pre-AFS, computer and ballasts .. one of the computers might not work, not entirely sure, but it'd give you a cheap starting point. I imagine the headlamp assemblies you have on there are the stock ones that fit just been re-done with HID. I think he would have had to re-program the computer to tell it that there are aren't bi-xenons in there.

Anyway, throw me an offer and I'll send you the computer(s) / ballasts / pre-AFS modules and you can sort thru and see which work, or you can find them on eBay or car-part.com. Often times though on car-part they're going to want to sell the full assembly; I was able to get the whole assembly w/ the two computers and the ballasts w/ bulbs for $225 each.

FYI the bulb type required is D2S. OSRAM Night Breaker are some really nice bulbs, although the regular OSRAMs are nice too. They're OEM and are beautiful at that 4350 - 4500k range of "really white".

If you're interested, I can pull part numbers for them when I run out to the car tomorrow, I happen to have them in my trunk at the moment because I was going to take them off and sell them.

Also keep in mind that the AFS has these wires inside the assemblies that move the light around and aim it. I can't believe your car isn't throwing all kinds of codes. Light issues with these things are a PITA.

Regards,

Naudi