A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Removing the CD changer by force?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:23 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP - Removing the CD changer by force?

I got the two spring-removal keys (the CD-changer/AMI-removal "key" things) and accidentally slid one in the wrong way and I believe I damaged the part of the spring that would "bite" onto the key to allow for removal. Now, I cannot remove the CD changer from the glove box. The right side still seems to retain somewhat (although I can still pull it out) but the left side has no springiness left at all. I have an AMI unit and I can see the mechanism by which the keys engage the retaining spring clips and remove them, and I can picture none of this going on with the CD changer now that it is potentially damaged.

How can I force the CD changer out? I don't intend on reusing it - I've upgraded MMI to 4610 and doubt I will ever need to again - and plan on putting the AMI unit in its place.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to do this right now and my fingers are starting to bleed from all the pulling on the metal keys, hah.

EDIT: Yes, I also bent the keys upward to allow them to grab onto the spring, still no dice.

Last edited by a_very_naudi_guy; 04-27-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

You should buy the optical splitter to install both
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F231595922119
Old 04-28-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Will that help me with my problem of being one connector short to be able to plug in my satellite radio module?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Find the optical that's closest to your module, navigation, radio, etc and splice it from there or you can find the extension instead, male to female
Old 04-28-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Find the optical that's closest to your module, navigation, radio, etc and splice it from there or you can find the extension instead, male to female
Okay, I didn't think you could splice optic cables, I thought you needed a splitter like the one linked or something! Sorry to hijack a bit, no one has had any suggestions on the separate thread. I actually can't seem to mount the module in there, there isn't room to put the cover back on either.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:31 PM
The Transporter

I'd still have to pull out the CD changer to get access to the cables though, right? I can't get it out at all. And honestly, I don't need the CD changer anymore and would happily remove it. But I can't remove it through the traditional key insert means to get the retainer tab spring to come in and release. So how else can I get this out? I can't get enough space on the left side to stick anything in there to push in on hte tab, like I can with the right side.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can't break the clamps with the tools... Take a look at the pictures. I used a 3/64 tiny screw driver to move the lock tabs in very easily, you can try that or remove the glove box to access it.

move the screw driver to the right to push the tab to the left to release the lock tab
Old 04-28-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jack88
Okay, I didn't think you could splice optic cables, I thought you needed a splitter like the one linked or something! Sorry to hijack a bit, no one has had any suggestions on the separate thread. I actually can't seem to mount the module in there, there isn't room to put the cover back on either.
are you talking about the left trunk area? where all the Navigation and Radio? Can't be, what do you have in there?
Old 04-28-2018, 05:24 PM
The Transporter

I got it - using a small screw-driver as suggested. I had already compromised the tab on the right side, so just inserting on the left and pushing from the rear released it. I now have the AMI installed and working fine. I get the "Audio source is enabled" message with my 3.5mm AUX cable (plugged into my phone or a small bluetooth adapter), and audio streaming in fine. I am going to order a 30-pin iPod cable for it and assign a jail-broken iPhone 4 w/ a data-only plan as the player, so I can stream music via cellular as well as play music from the storage. I will mount it somewhere easy to access.

Thank you!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not so fast, you can use either aux or 30P connector and not both since you only have 1 AMI connector. Unless you modify the AMI cable to switch between AUX or Data on demand.
Cheers,
Louis

Quick Reply: HELP - Removing the CD changer by force?