A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Engine Temp, No A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Engine Temp, No A/C

Half way home last night, the A/C started blowing hot air only. I glanced down at the instrument panel and noticed that the temp gauge is around the 3/4 mark. I've never seen it above 1/2 in the past. I then shut down all nonessential electrical load and the engine temp gradually dropped back to just over the 1/2 mark. Within a few minutes it climbed back up again. Luckily I was close enough to home that it never went above 3/4 mark. I'm wondering if the thermostat is sticking. But why did the A/C blow hot air only? Is there a mechanism that disables the A/C compressor with elevated engine temp? Will hook-up the VAG-COM tomorrow to troubleshoot it further.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default a/c

Originally Posted by Diskman
Half way home last night, the A/C started blowing hot air only. I glanced down at the instrument panel and noticed that the temp gauge is around the 3/4 mark. I've never seen it above 1/2 in the past. I then shut down all nonessential electrical load and the engine temp gradually dropped back to just over the 1/2 mark. Within a few minutes it climbed back up again. Luckily I was close enough to home that it never went above 3/4 mark. I'm wondering if the thermostat is sticking. But why did the A/C blow hot air only? Is there a mechanism that disables the A/C compressor with elevated engine temp? Will hook-up the VAG-COM tomorrow to troubleshoot it further.
Once the temp reaches 105 degrees celsius, the compressor gets deactivated to lower heat generating and lower load in the engine.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Confirming what S4master said and adding the following. It appears that you thermostat had stuck. My condolences since you may as well do the timing belt replacement as it has to come off.

However, I have also had the $25 temp sensor fail causing no a/c, radiator fans on full blast but the temp gauge will be pegged to the left (ice cold).

Your profile say 2005 A8 so that is what I'm going by. FSI engines on newer models have an easier to access thermostat. And, those usually fail in an open mode.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

if the car gets too hot it will turn the heater on to help cool the coolant. Most likely your thermostat is sticking closed. I've seen alot of A8 thermostats stick close.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ran car for over 30 minutes today in 90-degree heat while monitoring with VCDS. The AC was set at 64F. Coolant temp started off at 33C then climbed to 113C. Compressor was still engaged and engine temp remained at 1/2 mark. Both fans were running at ~54% duty-cycle. No blockage (external) on condenser. Timing belt and water pump assembly were dry. Will monitor it a couple more days but my gut feeling is that the thermostat is sticking. Was hoping to delay the TB/WP change until next year. Vehicle only has 46K miles on it.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default temp.

before you start thinking on removing parts get a temp reading from the instrument cluster (17) and the a/c unit (08), and compare them to the ecm (01),
if all 3 within 5 degrees difference you can proceed with the diagnosis, if larger difference is present I replace the coolant sensor first.

don,t feel so bad about timing belts.
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2011, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, great pic S4; is that really how much the chain piece can wear? How many years/miles were on that car?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

s4master1,

Both ECM and Instrument cluster read 109C but Auto HVAC (8) did not have an advanced measurement option. Still think it's the thermostat?

Thanks for suggestions!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default miles

Originally Posted by Brozee
Wow, great pic S4; is that really how much the chain piece can wear? How many years/miles were on that car?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a/c

Originally Posted by Diskman
s4master1,

Both ECM and Instrument cluster read 109C but Auto HVAC (8) did not have an advanced measurement option. Still think it's the thermostat?

Thanks for suggestions!
i believe is in channel 8 for temp reading in the a/c. eirthe way.
set the heater at max with the econ button depressed and see how hot is the air coming out of the vents, if really hot it means the water pump is moving the coolant, at the same time measure or touch the radiator on both sides and see if is cold on one side or both. if the radiator is cold and the heater is hot your thermostat is stuck close.

Quick Reply: High Engine Temp, No A/C